Author Topic: Is it possible to view actual birth/marriage/death records other than GRO?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am wondering if there is a site for England records where you can pay to view actual records that would contain more information without having to order it directly from GRO.  For example, at scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can view the actual picture of the record taken for a smaller price and then request copy to be sent for higher price.

Thank you,
Bernadette

O'Brien, Clancy, Segrave, Sinnott,Synnott, Brown, Connor, Matthews (Mathieson), Devine, Harney, Bartley, Hogan, Watterson,

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to view actual birth/marriage/death records other than GRO?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
You can only "view" certificates by buying them, either from the gro or local register office.

For events that took place in a C of E church, you can view the Parish records, usually at the Local Record office for the relevant county, though more recent ones may still be at the church, and of course some counties have them online. And for many you can buy a CD of parish records. 
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 June 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you...I was pretty sure that was the case but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I know things change sometimes.

Bernadette
O'Brien, Clancy, Segrave, Sinnott,Synnott, Brown, Connor, Matthews (Mathieson), Devine, Harney, Bartley, Hogan, Watterson,

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 June 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
Ancestry   have   many parish  records from the LMA   on line ,  where  you  can see  the   images (London Area )    they  also   have some Surrey   records,  Liverpool , Manchester  and Warwickshire   also  also  West Riding   Yorkshire ,   as I've  got  info  re various   ancestors  from them ,  without   having  to  get the   certs  These are   of  church  records  of  course ,  not  registry  offices

Offline FionaO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 August 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
Checkout http://dustydocs.com/ - an invaluable website

Parish records are now held in the local county records office. (See above site for more info).
Turner, Smith, Gibson, Harrison, Young, Boucher, Howells

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 August 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
For post-1858 deaths, as long as there was a Grant you can get the date of death from the Probate calendars. These are free to view, although I am not sure if they are available to view online.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 August 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
For post-1858 deaths, as long as there was a Grant you can get the date of death from the Probate calendars. These are free to view, although I am not sure if they are available to view online.

Lists of wills/administration are on Ancestry too.  They show the date of death and date of probate and who probate was given to.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 August 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
And, I believe, that Ancestry is free to view this weekend  ;D  Doesn't affect me as I have a subscription.   ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 August 14 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions!  I've been trying to find brothers of my great great grandfather...whose name was Michael O'Brien...by comparing fathers names on wedding certificates.. needless to say there are many many O'Briens !  Common named ancestors don't make it easy! :)

Bernadette