Author Topic: Kellys of Bogtown  (Read 4812 times)

Offline pastlearner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kellys of Bogtown
« on: Thursday 09 February 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find any trace of Thomas Kelly born in Bogtown (Queens Co/Laois). He married Marcella Dempsey of Mountrice, Monasterevan, Co Kildare and they had about 9 children (eldest also Thomas Kelly). His father was also Thomas Kelly but no idea of mother. Any pointers appreciated.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kellys of Bogtown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

do you have any dates?

heywood

added: I see they were having children in 1870s and married in 1872.

Where are you hoping to find a trace of him - before this time?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 12 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello...

As Heywood said they married in 1872 in Co. Kildare...I can see the index for this on www.rootsireland.ie and if you buy this record, you will be able to see their fathers names. From the same site, I have found 11 children:

Thomas Kelly 1873 Monastervin
Laurence Kelly 1874 Monastervin
Christopher Kelly 1877
Joseph Kelly 1882
Peter Kelly 1884
George Kelly 1885
Patrick 1887
Michael 1891/1892 (from 1901 census of Ireland)
Bridget 1891
Lucy Kelly 1893
John Kelly 1899/1901 (from 1901 census of Ireland)

All registered in Monastervin!!!

Here's the family on the 1901 Census of Ireland http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kildare/Lackagh/Mountrice/1435270/ and on the 1911 Census of Ireland http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kildare/Lackagh/Mountrice/538010/

Hope all this helps in some way,

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline mclaffey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi past learner, Thomas Kelly's son Laurence was my great grandfather. I have little on the parent thomas Kelly had more success tracing Marcella Dempsey's roots. From Laurence's marriage records and the rootsireland site the 1901 census ( ( family was living in house no 9 mount rice lackagh) and family history I know the missing children ( those not in the house in mount rice in the 1901 census ) are thomas, Christina Kelly born 1879 Laurence born 1874( and died before the next Laurence,my great grandfather, was born in 1876).and a name that appears on the census but isn't in anniedwyers helpful research is Maggie 1896.
Thomas was 50 at the time of the 1901 census, born in Queens county and a shoemaker, Laurence his son also was a shoemaker. He was at the same address in 1911.
Good luck and please let me know if you have luck tracingThomas.

Offline pastlearner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 August 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for your help. Apologies for delay in responding due to some problems. mclaffey - I was very interested to see your post and thanks for the very useful information (and to Annie also). I am rechecking material and will get back to you. The name Laurence is quite interesting!