Author Topic: John S Alston - WW2  (Read 1073 times)

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John S Alston - WW2
« on: Sunday 27 April 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
I am totally stumped trying to find out about this man! He appears on our BB War Memorial in Leith, Edinburgh meaning he was a member of the company. I don't have him on the old BB register but there is an annoying gap just when some of the men who fought in WW2 would have enrolled.

There is only one John Alston showing on the Scottish National War Memorial. He died 19/7/1945 of beriberi in Sumatra. He has no middle initial showing and his parents are from Rothesay so that seems unlikely.

On the Commonwealth War Grave site there are two other John Alstons listed. One is the husband of Elizabeth Alston from Skerton Lancaster. He was age 34 and in the Coldtream Guards. He died 10/12/1943.

The other is John Scott Alston, age 23,  d 3/9/1944. He served with The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey). Son of William and Mabel Alston, Winchmore Hill, Middlesex. He would be right age wise to be in that missing section of register but was born in Oxfordshire in 1921. Could there be a family connection to Edinburgh and how could I find out?

And if he is none of these men - how on earth can I find out who he is?? There were three other John S Alstons born in Scotland around the right time. Two died young and I couldn't trace what happened to the other.

This is for a memorial book I am making up and he is one of only two men I haven't been able to find out about so far - most annoying!
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John S Alston - WW2
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 April 14 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Found this , no idea if the info. is accurate -
http://wwii-army.findthebest.com/l/263832/John-S-Alston

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 April 14 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev. I suppose he could be one of my missing Johns. Was looking for a record of this one going to US but can't see any that would match my man.
East Lothian/Midlothian

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 May 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
Just to say Ev, that John Alston you found in the US Army was the other one born in Scotland who I hadn't found. Good to rule him out but still no idea who the John Alston on the memorial is. Oh well, I tried!
East Lothian/Midlothian