Author Topic: Kuhn Family Edinburgh  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Schorsch

• RootsChat Member
  • Schnitzlers Germany 1860, later England+ Scotland
    • View Profile
Kuhn Family Edinburgh
« on: Tuesday 22 July 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

how to find out what happened to Bertha * 29 AUG 1992 Edinburgh, and Louise Kuhn *12 Apr 1892? Whom did they marry? Any Idea?

kind regards
Brigitte
Schnitzler, Kuhn, Jelinek

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Kuhn Family Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigitte

For background, this must be the family here www.flickr.com/photos/20939975@N04/2617155388/

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
how to find out what happened to Bertha * 29 AUG 1992 Edinburgh, and Louise Kuhn *12 Apr 1892? Whom did they marry? Any Idea?

If they were married in Scotland, the marriage should be on Scotland's People.

I'm a bit puzzled by your dates. Does * mean born? If so, surely Bertha can't have been born as recently as 1992? Were Bertha and Louise sisters? Because they can't have been born on 12 April and 29 August in the same year.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
I assume you mean the two daughters of Wilhelm and Susanne Kuhn who are in Edinburgh in the 1901 census. ScotlandsPeople (a pay to view site) has the 1911 census which would be worth searching, and will also have the marriage certs of Bertha and Louise if they married in Scotland.

Going by the 1901 census, Bertha was born about 1892/93 and Louise 1895/96.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline Schorsch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry,
 :-[, it is so hot in Germany. Bertha *29 AUG 1892, Louise *12 APR 1895. They were sisters.I looked for a marriage at Scotlandspeople, found a lot of interesting things but nothing towards the existance of descendents, no marriage and also no death.
@monica, yes you are right. I found it by looking for old photographs, with my post here years ago :)
so I start again.
Can one say that, if i don't find them on scotlandspeople, they didn't marry in scotland, and if I don't find the death, they didn't die in scotland? Is that right???
@JMStrachan, yes, the parents were Wilhelm Kuhn and Susanne Kuhn, born Schnitzler in Cologne Germany. And my Avatar shows her Gradparents.

kind regards
Brigitte

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
Can one say that, if i don't find them on scotlandspeople, they didn't marry in scotland, and if I don't find the death, they didn't die in scotland? Is that right???

Yes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Bertha Kühn appeared, aged 8, together with her younger sister Luise, 5, at home at "The Linden", Craigcrook Road, Edinburgh, in the 1901 Census returns. Her father Wilhelm was 44 and her mother Susanne was 41. Wilhelm was a shopkeeper, picture frame maker, printseller and artist's colourman [someone who makes or sells paint].

There is the death of a Wilhelm Kuhn, aged 62, in Edinburgh in 1919 and a Susanne Kuhn in 1940 aged 80 (with her maiden surname as Schnitzler). However, I am not seeing a marriage or death for Bertha or Luise on <a href="http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk">ScotlandsPeople</a> or in England and Wales and do not see them on any passenger lists (searched also with variant  Kuehn). That does not rule out the possibility that they did indeed travel abroad but when these lists were being transcribed, their names were not decipherable by the people who indexed the lists. I haven't looked at the 1911 Census. You will have to look at that on ScotlandsPeople, at least to see if they were still in Edinburgh at that time.

Offline Schorsch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
Yes in the 1911 census they lived still there.

Online eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 00:13 BST (UK) »
The Post Office Edinburgh and Leith Directory for 1911 shows Wilhelm in business at 6 Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85923427 shows W. Kühn at 6 Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh

If you go to the <a href="http://www.nls.uk">National Library of Scotland</a> and go to their digital collections you will find the Edinburgh and Leith Post Office Directories in which you will find Wilhelm's home and business addresses listed for the various years 1893-1894 onwards. Click on
http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85165358 and in the "Search within"  searchbox select from the dropdown menu Scottish Post Office Directories and enter the search terms edinburgh kuhn to see the volumes that such a search brings up. You can click on each volume (Jhg.) and find the relevant entry.

I was interested to see that in 1893/1894 Wilhelm was living at 75 Marchmont Road, Edinburgh (I lived at 60 Marchmont Road!) and also at that address was an M. Schnitzler, who, I learn from the 1895-1896 volume, was Mathias Schnitzler, printseller, picture frame maker, cleaner, liner, carver and gilder, importer of German gift mouldings, and artists' colourman, in business at 133 Lothian Road, Edinburgh.