Author Topic: Bennett Dawson, b. 1799 Biggin  (Read 1637 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Bennett Dawson, b. 1799 Biggin
« on: Tuesday 22 July 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Peeps

According to FS, John and Ann Dawson baptised four children in Hartington (or is it Biggin by Hartington - not sure):

Sarah, 9 Sep 1792 (presume she died before next Sarah was b.)
Sarah, 6 Nov 1796 (think she was buried 8 Feb 1821)
Bennett, 6 Nov 1799
and
Hannah, 28 Nov 1802

All later census info gives Bennett's POB as Biggin.

What I'd like to find is info on his parents marriage and, of course, Ann's maiden name, plus baptisms etc for John and Ann that might lead me further back.  The only marriage on FS is between a John Dawson and Ann Bill/Bell in Boylestone in 1789, but that's quite a way away, and I wondered if anyone could find me anything closer/more likely.   

It would be wonderful if Ann's maiden was Bennett and that would explain where he got his given name from.

All help gratefully received.

Thanks
STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Ashlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bennett Dawson, b. 1799 Biggin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi STG,

I was only able to find 1 marriage record between a John Dawson and an Ann in Derbyshire just before their first child (Sarah) was born in 1792. It was the same one you have found: John Dawson married Ann Bell/Bill on 9 February 1789 in Boylestone.

I then found 2 baptisms in Cubley (very close to Boylestone) that could be Ann:

Ann Bill on 30 December 1770, parents are John and Ann.

Ann Bull on 25 April 1768, parents are John and Sarah.

Unfortunately neither of the mother's maiden names are Bennett (Ann's was Byrd and Sarah's was Prestbury).

I also found a baptism record for a John Dawson on 17 October 1763 in Hartington. His parents were John and Elizabeth. This seems to match up to the information you provided far more than any other baptism record I found so I am sure this is him.

Unfortunately I was unable to find a marriage record for John and Elizabeth, however I did find the probable sisters baptisms (with Joh and Elizabeth as parents) below:

Dorothy Dawson on 28 February 1766 in Hartington.

Ellen Dawson on 3 July 1768 in Hartington.

I hope this helps! If there is anything else I can help with don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,

Ashlee :)
Rowland family of Youlgreave/Bakewell, Andrew family of Bradwell, Gascoigne family of South Yorkshire and Saxby family of Hull/Lincoln. Families in Bradwell, Hope, Castleton etc. (Hope Valley), Derbyshire.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ashlee. 

Been out all day, so only just seen this.

I like the fact that there's a Dorothy, because there are umpteen other Dorothys  in later generations, so that probably means we're on the right track and have moved back another generation.

Still would really love to know where Bennett comes from though!

STG

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
Eureka !!!!

FreeReg has a marriage between

John Dawson
and
Elizabeth BENNET
at
Hartington
on 2 May 1763

Yippee!

One of the witnesses was a Roger Dawson, and I've also found a baptism for John Snr on 15 Oct 1742, s/o Roger and Dorothy Dawson.

Doing happy dance!! :) :) :)

STG