Author Topic: Which William Buxton?  (Read 5274 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Which William Buxton?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 August 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you noticed the large gap between the birth of Anthony and Joseph, whilst this could indicate
there were a lot of children who did not survive it could also indicate that Margaret was a second wife.

It is also possible that Anthony was the illegitimate son of Margaret and so christened with her maiden name.

So lot of thinking "out of the Box" required.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 August 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you noticed the large gap between the birth of Anthony and Joseph, whilst this could indicate
there were a lot of children who did not survive it could also indicate that Margaret was a second wife.

It is also possible that Anthony was the illegitimate son of Margaret and so christened with her maiden name. Spendlove

Yes, I had noted the big gap. Actually it's even stranger, because William and Margaret married in 1813 in Cumberland (Margaret came from Westmorland) - so there's another long gap there. I need to do some more digging!

Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Buxton - completed (for now!) with thanks to those who contributed
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 August 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to work out which of 2 William Buxtons, born in Shirland and Pentrich in 1790, might be my ancestor. I've now found a death record for William Buxton in August 1790 at Pentrich. I still can't be 100% sure, but it looks as if the Shirland one may be the one I'm looking for. To summarise:

Baptised at Shirland Jan 1790 (so probably born 1789).
Died at Hulland April 1850. Age given as 60.

So, IF the age at death is accurate, he must have been born between April 1789 and April 1790. The only birth between those dates is the Shirland one.
It's still conjecture of course, as there may be records of other Williams that aren't on the index, but the general area of the county fits, so I'm going to hope for the best, just leaving a question mark over the records.

Thanks to all who contributed. I now have lots of other questions to answer, such as why he married in 1813, apparently had one child in 1821 then no more for several more years.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 August 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
I think I've found the answer, or at least got as far as I can - see Completed Requests thread. Thanks to all who've helped.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Buxton - completed (for now!) with thanks to those who contributed
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 August 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
Does this really belong to this thread?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=697109.msg5404652#msg5404652

Added No longer relevant - threads have been merged!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk