Author Topic: JOSEPH ELLIS of CURBAR  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOSEPH ELLIS of CURBAR
« on: Tuesday 25 November 14 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Ellis married Elizabeth Marple in Sept 1807 in Baslow or Curbar but I only have a record of their children dating from 1820 and i suspect there was a 'Thomas Ellis' bapt 1809 (at least and possibly more children). Does someone have access to the Curbar and Baslow registers in order to check the marriage details and the children produced? I live in Suffolk and find it v. difficult to get up to Derbyshire. I have regular access to Suffolk registers. Many thanks in anticipation.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: JOSEPH ELLIS of CURBAR
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The marriage of Joseph Ellis & Elizabeth took place 15th Sept 1807 at Baslow

The following Bpt are recorded at Church of England. Chapelry of Baslow (Derbyshire)

Thomas  15.1.1809    Child of Joseph & Elizabeth Ellis
Mary       29.12.1810
Caleb     10.1.1813
George   26.2.1815
Joshua   30.3.1817
John       6.2.1820

All the above transcripts can be seen on:-

www.familysearch.org

You can also access by using the following site:-

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyDerby_(A-M).htm#C

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 14 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information. I've always found Family Search a bit difficult to use since it was 'modernised'.

Is there a burials CD available for Derbyshire?

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 November 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I have the Baslow Parish records to hand.including burials.......
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derbysderek,

The Ellis family were inhabitants of Curbar although it would seem that their activities (BMDs) spilt over into Baslow parish as well.

I would certainly like to know more about Joseph Ellis who was baptised in about 1789, who his parents and siblings were and whether the line can be taken back even further.

I appreciate the time spent doing this - if you have any queries wrt Suffolk records, I'd have a look for you.

WorlyG

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Joseph ELLIS Chrsitened 29 April 1787, Baslow, Derbyshire
Father JOHN Ellis

Other Children Chrisitened Baslow with a Father JOHN;
MARY. 08 Dec 1779
PEGGY, 13 Jan 1781
WILLIAM, 02 Feb 1782
THOMAS, 03 Aug 1783
JOHN, 11 April 1785
GRACE, 20 Sept 1789
ELIZABETH, 25 Oct 1795
ANN, 25 Oct 1795
NANCY, 06 Jan 1799
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Nancy also has another entry on F/S same date Parents JOHN/ANN

The only Marriage I can find which would be the day before Mary was Chrsitened is;
John ELLIS/Ann GREGORY, 07 Dec 1779, St Mary & All Saints, Chesterfield (FreeREG)

FreeREG has some St Anne, Baslow, Marriages
MARGARET Ellis to Samuel GREEN, 09 Aug 1803 (this may be Peggy born 1781)
THOMAS Ellis of Cubar to Elizabeth WILDE, 25 Nov 1805
JOSEPH Ellis of Cubar to Elizabeth 1807**
WILLIAM Ellis of Cubar to Hannah GREEN, 06 Aug 1811
(Source FreeREG)

F/S also has a Burial of JOHN Ellis, 6 August 1819    Baslow, age 67 (1752)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 December 14 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spendlove,

That could be a little confusing! Joseph Ellis of Curbar was, according to the 1851 and 1861 census records, born in Curbar and he married Elizabeth Marple in 1807 in Baslow. She was also of Curbar so there must have been some reason why they married in Baslow Parish Church.

The Joseph Ellis that you have mentioned is a different man if he was baptised in Baslow (and two years earlier). Also the siblings have christian names unlike no others that are found in my Ellis family tree.

I shall have to have a good search on family search to see if I can find out anything else about Joseph.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 December 14 12:18 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the Baslow Parish records you will see that a very large proportion of peeps were from Curbar...........the reason was often because one priest served several churches..of which Baslow was the mother church..........and baptism particularly were delayed until the availability of a priest...which in turn eplains why so many "block" baptisms took place on the same day. You'll find several children from one family, of different ages, often Baptised on the same day.
Which also makes it very difficult to actually tie down when someone was actually born, and again partly explains apparent anomalies in Census Ages.....

CURBAR did not become a separate parish until 1868..the Church was not finished till 1867.

..and whilst I'm here, I have something for you mull over, since you originally asked for more details about Joseph's family......It may be that there is an unbroken line from about 1569......

WILLIAM ELLIS married Margaret Andrew 15.07.1584 (she was buried 26.03.1631)....they had the followin children:
THOMAS ELLIS baptised 24.01.1591, and francis 12.01.1594..........both had families.

Thomas 24.07.1591 appears to have married twice.......he had John 09.07.1615 and Margery 25.07.1626......John died and margery never married

It may be, in the absence of any alternative..that Thomas 1591 widowed married Elizabeth Elliott 28.11.1635 and had three children including:-

THOMAS ELLIS 28.02.1636.. who married Elizabeth Benneson 25.07.1664..and had four children including:-

THOMAS ELLIS 08.10.1665..married a MARY (who died 18.07.1728)...and had four children including:_

THOMAS ELLIS 23.04.1701..who married another Mary. and had three children including:-

THOMAS ELLIS 18.07.1728 died 12.04.1814..the father of:-

JOHN ELLIS 09.04.1751 died 06.08.1819......the father of:-

JOSEPH 29.04.1781......."of Curbar" when he married..may well have been born in Curbar..but was indisputably BAPTISED at Baslow 29.04.1787

These are all facts...whether they are indeed one unbroken family is supposition, and for you to interpret as you will. But i have researchd an awful lot of Derbyshire familes who never moved out of area for generations.

Good luck

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 December 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Derek has given you the answer. they may have lived in Cubar but as there was no parish
church there until 1868 they were Bpt in Baslow.

It is often a good idea to check when a Parish first obtained a church on Genuki:-

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Curbar/

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.