Author Topic: kerr family - anderston, glasgow  (Read 2537 times)

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kerr family - anderston, glasgow
« on: Saturday 13 August 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
hey everyone

Hope your all well.

Anyone out there related to the kerrs that lived in and around anderston between late 1800s to the mid 1900s? does anyone have kerrs in thier tree.

I know most of the people on ancestry with kerrs in their trees, just was interested incase there are any newbie kerrs out there!! :)

would be great to hear from distant cousins etc...

thanks

Paul
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Offline hamon44

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: kerr family - anderston, glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 September 11 04:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul, would W. Bothwell St be classed as Anderston.  My ggm, nee Janet Kerr and her sister Christina Taylor lived there in 1881.  They seemed to move around Glasgow.

According to the census they were originally from Lochgilphead.  Father Robert, mother Margaret and a brother John.

Liz

Offline ocian_c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I have recently discovered a Kerr in my family and looking to discover that link a little more.  Her name was Jane Kerr and married to Patrick Cassidy.  They both came from Ireland circa 1870 from Co. Derry i believe - possibly Kilrea.

Jane Kerr lived in Turner Street in Glasgow - which no longer exists im sorry im not sure where that is in relation to Anderston.

She died in 1930 aged 68 in Woodilee Asylum near Glasgow.

Her parents were John Kerr and Sarah Moran.
Keenan (Co. Antrim Ireland - Scotland)
McCart (Co. Antrim Ireland - Scotland)
McMullan (Ballymoney Co. Antrim)
Westwood (Kingswinford)
Bray (Colwell, Herefordshire)
Stanley (London)
Moss-Smith (Altrincham and surrounds)

Offline virgo_lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching this family tree as Jane Kerr and Patrick Cassidy are my great grandparents. My grandfather is Charles, their youngest son.

My research has now taken me to the Kilrea District in Ireland as Patrick Cassidy my gg-grandfather was a tenant farmer there.

I haven't found out much about Jane Kerr only her parents names on her death certificate. I found her very hard to locate as the names on family certificates ranged from Carr, Kerr, Moran and Mohan so I was unsure what her surname was for a while.

Just wondering if Jane had relatives in Anderston? The family to my knowledge came from the Garngad, Glasgow after moving from Ireland.

Offline mairepad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 August 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am not at all certain whether I have any Kerr connections.  My great-great grandmother Mary Hewit married John McCann in Glasgow in 1853. St. Mungo's RC. I believe she may be the Mary Hewit in the 1841 Census, in the household of John Hewitson, Mary Kerr, Easter(sic) Hewit and Elizabeth Carr. They were living in Barony. Mary named her first daughter Esther.
John and Mary McCann and family (Charles, Francis, Esther) emigrated to the US in 1863 and had two more children there, Anna (my great grandmother) and Mary.
Still working on this one.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 August 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
I have been tracing Gordons and have an Elizabeth Gordon marrying a Joseph Kerr 31/12/1884 in St Josephs Church, Milton, Glasgow , a few searches shows 4 daughters Isabella, Mary,Catherine and Margaret . 
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.