Author Topic: Moses Leary born 1839/42  (Read 6623 times)

Offline kabeja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Leary born 1839/42 COMPLETED. Thanks to all concerned.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 September 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Moses Leary was born in County Wexford circa 1839/42, (sorry i can't be more precise, the dates vary according to different English censuses !) and moved to County Durham, England about 1868.
In the 1911 census he is down as coming from a village i cannot decipher. It looks like Camin Village ? Carnin Village ? and i can find nothing at all in County Wexford which corresponds to these. Does anyone have any idea what the village may be please ?
Moses was married to Ellen/Esther (? depends on which census) sometime around 1870 according to the 1911 English census although so far i have found no record of their marriage. I suspect they were married earlier than this as they appear in County Durham on the 1871 English census with three children, Thomas aged 5, Patrick 3, and Mary Ann aged 6 months.
Any help with either the village name or marriage would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Suffolk... Sharp.
Durham... Moody, Clark(e), OŽNeil(l), Sharp,

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Leary born 1839/42
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 02:13 BST (UK) »
Having looked at the 1911 census return I am afraid I can't agree on Camolin - you should post a link for people to take a look themselves.

I think the entry is Camm. Now that has to be a corruption, but not of Camolin (the Gaelic theory is not viable). Obvious candidates are Caim (suggested already) and Carne. Caim is clearly the leading candidate by far, as there was a mine there, and Moses was a miner.
Also, in your searches you need to remember that Moses=Mogue=Aidan/Aiden.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Leary born 1839/42
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Caim sounds very good, Wexflyer.
Griffiths Valuation shows Learys there http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/wexford/monart.htm.

Unfortunately 1911 links cannot be posted on RC.

If that marriage is correct, it would hopefully show Moses' father's name.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk