Author Topic: census lookup request please 1871 lanarkshire, scotland  (Read 13656 times)

murray12

Re: census lookup request please 1871 lanarkshire, scotland
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 April 11 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Let me email the 1864 cert to you

murray12

« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 April 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Maggie

Just sent you details on PM.

murray12

« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Here it is

John Brown aged 25 - address Armadale, Bathgate - son of James Brown miner and Ann Brown ms Black

Margaret Ferguson age 27 address Dunoon - Alexander Ferguson powdermaker deceased and Christina Ferguson ms McNair

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Based on that, this could possibly (only possibly) be them on the 1871 census:
John Brown age 32.  Miner.  Born in Greenock, living at Fauld Head in the parish of Shotts, Lanarkshire
Margaret F. Brown, age 33.  Born in Strathallan, Argyll.
Problem is that the two of them are living together but with no sign of any children, let alone a Margaret who would by then be around 11 years old.

Sadly that doesn't get us any further in the search for your Margaret.  I do hope someone else out there has a bright idea I haven't thought of, because for now I think we'd need to go through all the Margaret Brown or Gillan births in 1860 +/- 2 years to look for any with Jane shown as her mother, and that would not only take a huge amount of time but it would cost a fair bit in credits as well.

Anyone spotting anything I've missed?
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

murray12

« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
I wonder if wee Margaret was visiting someone else lol

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
What about this one?
1861, around the time Margaret was born:

John Brown, age 40. Miner.  Born in Lanarkshire, living in Legbranock, Lanarkshire, which is in the Holytown registration district
Jane Brown, 32, born in Tyrone, Ireland
Children:
John age 16, Ann 10, Mary 4, William 3, Margaret 1, all born Bothwell/Holytown
Visitor: Mary Little, Visitor, 55 from Tyrone.   She was a seamstress.
Now that last entry may mean that this Jane's MS was Little, but not necessarily

p.s. In fact it's isn't - I got ahead of myself and took a look, I really should know better.  The birth that I think is for this Margaret Brown was on 03 April 1860, and the name of the mother had been Jean Viney.   Jean/Jane is no problem, they are totally interchangeable, but I can't link Gillan to Viney, and I assume you looked at the original of the marriage certificate and are absolutely certain that 'Gillan' was what was written?     Assuming you did, then this one is a no go as well  unfortunately

p.p.s.   In for a penny etc, so I just took a look at the marriage certificate to see if there was anything else. 
Is this the one?
11 November 1881 at 2 Annfield Terrace, Partick
Margaret's address is given as 15 Grace Street, Partick, her huband's is 60 Castlebank Street, Partick
The witnesses are Agnes Carrick, presumably a relative of John's, and Mary Ann MClure, which may or may not help someone identify her., together with a Samuel Gray and a David Gray.
His parents are William Carrick, Ships Carpenter/Journeyman and Margaret Carrick MS Barlow.  (not sure where the Rebecca is?)
I agree with you that Jane's MS is clearly written as Gillan, and can't have been mistranscribed from Viney. 
Ah well, back to the drawingboard...
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

murray12

« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
The name is definately given as Gillan

murray12

« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:44 BST (UK) »
That is the certificate - there is an error as the grooms mother is definately Rebecca and NOT Margaret Barlow. - got evifence for that from marriage and earlier census.

murray12

« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 April 11 15:15 BST (UK) »
Maggie

I found this family in Old Monkland for 1851

GILLAN       John       Head       M       M       47       Coal Miner        Lanarkshire - Shotts           
        GILLAN       Elizabeth       Wife       M       F       46               West Lothian - Whitburn           
        GILLAN       John       Son       U       M       20       Coal Miner        Lanarkshire - New Monkland           
        GILLAN       Robert       Son       U       M       17       Coal Miner        Lanarkshire - Old Monkland           
        GILLAN       Grace       Dau       U       F       15               Lanarkshire - Shotts           
        GILLAN       Janet       Dau       U       F       10       Scholar        Lanarkshire - Bothwell           
        GILLAN       James       Lodger       U       M       21       Coal Miner        Lanarkshire - Old Monkland           
        GILLAN       John L       Nephew       U       M       3               Lanarkshire - Old Monkland           
        GILLAN       Peter       Son       U       M       3               Lanarkshire - Old Monkland   

A young JANE GILLAN aged 10 then - ???