Author Topic: Wilson family Stonehouse  (Read 3259 times)

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson family Stonehouse
« on: Thursday 11 August 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the family of David Wilson married to Isabella ( Isobell) Hamilton who married 24th May 1835 in Stonehouse.
I have them in 1851 staying Townhead Street Stonehouse
David 40 Handloom weaver
Isobela 46 Pirn Winder
Janet11 Handloom weaver
Isobela 8
Catherine 6 Scolar

In 1841 Middle Ward, Stonehouse
David 30 Cotton Weaver
Isobela35
Margaret4
Janet2
Any information on this family would be appreciated,Thanks

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson family Stonehouse
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
Looks like David is dead by 1861

Isabella Wilson 57 Head  born: Lesmahagow, Lanark occ Weft Winder
Janet Wilson 22 daur born: Stonehouse, Lanark
Isabella Wilson 18
Catherine Wilson 16
Isabella Campbell 9 MO Grandaughter  born: Stonehouse, Lanark

Address: 39 New St Stonehouse

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 11 19:59 BST (UK) »

Isabella Wilson 66 born: Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire Occupation: Hawker Or Pediar
Isabella Lyach Wilson 27
Catherin Adison 24
Matthew Wilson 6
Annie Lang 2
Andrew Lyne 3
David Lynch 4
Isabella Campbell 10

Address: 10 Argyle St. Stonehouse

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sancti, you have just given me more food for thought ???, Davids daughter Janet married a Robert Campbell in 1860 they had a daughter Isabella born 1860 also, but I have them staying in Kirkintilloch on the 1871 census. Robert was my grandmothers great grandfather and Janet and Roberts descendants still stay in this area. Any suggestions as the names, dates etc all tie in?

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 December 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Just returned to this family and still cannot make out if I have 2 different families but with very similar names and ages, I eventually  found a birth cert on SP for Isabella Campbell  (grand daughter) with the surname Wilson born in Stonehouse in June 1860 illegitimate, her parents did not marry until Oct of that year, if the family were the same Janet would be Campbell on the 1861 census and there is no Robert, I tried looking for him in Lanark in 1861 but could not find him I also have been looking for Robert in the parish of Dalserf but to no avail. :(
The age for Isabella on the 1861 census (9mnths)  and 1871 (10yrs) both Stonehouse are consistant with the birth cert but as I posted previously they left Stonehouse to live in Kirkintilloch ( on the 1871 census for Kirkintilloch Isabella is aged 9) Would it have been possible that she was staying ( visiting) at the time of the 1871 census with her grandparent in Stonehouse but  her parents also registered her as staying in Kirkintilloch? Any help greatly appreciated :)

Offline deb dashwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I believe this is my family that you are researching. Isabella Campbell Wilson is my Great Grandmother. She married William John Evans and one of their sons is my Grandad. Are you family too?
Look forward to hearing from you
Deb  :)

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb my line is through Isabellas illegitimate son Robert born in Kirkintilloch,I have alot of information on the family but not from the Evans side,I am more than happy to share what I have,just ask away. (For any thing more recent PM me)Janice

Offline deb dashwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice, nice to meet you  :)
I'm a little confused as to which Isabella you are referring to and which Robert is her son (Illegitimate)?? Can you give me more info on these please.

All my family history info and notes etc are stored 200 miles away from where I live so I am trying to do this through memory  ::) Hopefully I will be able to get all my bumph very soon and then I ill be able to see more clearly. I have quite a lot of info on these people but am always looking for more!
I am trying desperately to find info on my Grandad, Robert Campbell Evans as he seems to have left Scotland sometime after 1925, and doesn't reappear until 1940ish in the very south of England. He never spoke of his life in Scotland or as far as we know went back to visit or have any contact with any of his family ever again. It's a mystery I would love to unravel.
He said once that he was in the Black Watch, but, yet again no trace can be found. He had no documentation/medals or anything. It wasn't until 5/6 years ago that I found out he had a son in Scotland and this little boy was never mentioned either. Someone must have been told things about him, whether he was the black sheep of the family or what I have no idea.
Fascinating to me!!!
Thanks
Deb

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Janet and Roberts daughter Isabella had a son Robert before she married William he was born in 1883,he is on the 1901 census staying with his grandfather at Wester Gartshore cottages,also with them is a Mary M Evans age 7.
Did you know that your grandfather was training to be a hairdresser (1911 census)