Author Topic: COMPLETED THANK YOU Birth Lookup please -McMenamin  (Read 4668 times)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Lookup please -McMenamin
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 September 12 09:05 BST (UK) »
Scottish death records have mothers maiden name?  Thats very clever, much better than English registrations  :)

I'm sorry for being a bit thick  ;D  but I don't follow what you mean about the death being registered twice in different districts...?  Have two different districts been menntioned on this thread for Noras death?  Sorry....   :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 September 12 09:13 BST (UK) »
It is possible that the 2 records are for the 1 death and indexed under Collins and McMenamin

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 September 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
It is possible that the 2 records are for the 1 death and indexed under Collins and McMenamin

Thanks, I'd got that bit.  But which two records, isn't there only one?  Cheers

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 September 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
Ev has said that using the index gives 2 results with the info given but the 2 results are probably the 1 death indexed under her maiden and married name

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 October 12 10:21 BST (UK) »
Just adding link to later post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619382.0

AngelFish, I found some photos online for Norah Collins nee McMenamin, with family. Too recent given her death year to include here but I will send you the link via PM.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 October 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Death available to download

1942 MCMENAMIN JOHANNA  other name  MCGETTIGAN aged 58 at TOWNHEAD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 October 12 10:37 BST (UK) »
Using the Springburn location, there is a family on the 1911 census index
William 31
Johanna 27
Thomas 3
John 2
James 0

If William was aged 31 in 1911, he should have been born in 1879/80 and aged 1 in the 1881 census. However the youngest William McMenamin in the south of Scotland in 1881 is aged 17, and there is only one head of a household of McMenamins not born in Ireland. Therefore I think it probable that your William was also born in Ireland.

You need to invest £7 (less than the cost of buying one English certificate) in buying 30 credits at SP, and use 6 of them (£1.40) to get the marriage certificate of William and Johanna, if you don't already have it. This will tell you the full names of both sets of parents including the maidne surnames of the mothers. (As you say, the Scottish records are much fuller than the English ones.) If Johanna is the daughter of Patrick and Bridget you'll still have enough credits left to get their marriage certificate and the 1911 and 1901 censuses, and maybe even the 1891 census. The trail is then likely to lead you back to Ireland.

The bottom line is that the only way you can get this information for 100% free is if someone else pays -  even if some kind soul is going to the Scotland's People Centre and is willing to look some of it up for you, they will still have to pay for admission to the Centre to get at it in the first place.

I don't follow what you mean about the death being registered twice in different districts...?

I think it's more likely to be a duplication in the index rather than two separate records of the same death. Normally there is only a single record, indexed under both maiden and married surnames if it is a married woman.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
COMPLETED THANKS Re: Birth Lookup please -McMenamin
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your input!

Forfarian,
Thank you for that explanation and advice. I will do that. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply and say Thank you.

Angelfish

Using the Springburn location, there is a family on the 1911 census index
William 31
Johanna 27
Thomas 3
John 2
James 0

If William was aged 31 in 1911, he should have been born in 1879/80 and aged 1 in the 1881 census. However the youngest William McMenamin in the south of Scotland in 1881 is aged 17, and there is only one head of a household of McMenamins not born in Ireland. Therefore I think it probable that your William was also born in Ireland.

You need to invest £7 (less than the cost of buying one English certificate) in buying 30 credits at SP, and use 6 of them (£1.40) to get the marriage certificate of William and Johanna, if you don't already have it. This will tell you the full names of both sets of parents including the maidne surnames of the mothers. (As you say, the Scottish records are much fuller than the English ones.) If Johanna is the daughter of Patrick and Bridget you'll still have enough credits left to get their marriage certificate and the 1911 and 1901 censuses, and maybe even the 1891 census. The trail is then likely to lead you back to Ireland.

The bottom line is that the only way you can get this information for 100% free is if someone else pays -  even if some kind soul is going to the Scotland's People Centre and is willing to look some of it up for you, they will still have to pay for admission to the Centre to get at it in the first place.

I don't follow what you mean about the death being registered twice in different districts...?

I think it's more likely to be a duplication in the index rather than two separate records of the same death. Normally there is only a single record, indexed under both maiden and married surnames if it is a married woman.

Offline bagpus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mc Menamin Glasgow
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm a new member. Have just seen a post about Mc Menamim Family in Glasgow from Angelfish 12th October.
I have information that may help as that is my family. Do contact me please if you wish.
 Thanks

Bagpus