Author Topic: PETERKIN Banff/Fordyce/Portsoy  (Read 20491 times)

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PETERKIN Banff/Fordyce/Portsoy
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
My ancestors seem to have been born in or around Banff in late 1700's early 1800's then into Peterhead.
Researching PETERKIN surname - any dates and names if anyone has anything?

Also researching - Scotland ?Aberdeenshire or Banffshire

FALCONER
NICOL
CRAIG
MURRAY
PARLAY

regards
Mellie

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PETERKIN Banff/Fordyce/Portsoy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 06 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mellie,

I am also researching the surname NICOL in Banffshire, mostly around Mortlach and the surrounding area. Do you know which area your Nicols came from?

millerina  :)
All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Millerina

I believe Jean Nicol was born in Longside Aberdeenshire
it's the Peterkin line that she married into that were in Banff area... I've hit a brick wall with this line now.
Melanie

sorry should say Jean born abt 1827 to James Nicol and Elizabeth Kelman

Offline alan-essex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Mellie,

I hope the following info. will be of use to you.

JEAN ANDERSON  was born 10 Aug 1809 in Deskford, Banffshire, and died 26 Jun 1891 in Little Moss-side, Deskford, Banffshire. 

Jean married  ALEXANDER PETERKIN on 16 Aug 1834 in Deskford, Banffshire.  Alexander, the son of JOHN PETERKIN and ELIZABETH GRAY, was born 09 Dec 1809 in Deskford, Banffshire, and died 11 Sep 1840 also in Deskford, Banffshire.

Children of JEAN ANDERSON and ALEXANDER PETERKIN:

i. ANN PETERKIN, b. 24 Apr 1835, Deskford, Banffshire; m. JOHN ALLAN, 1854, Fordyce, Banffshire.

ii. MARGARET PETERKIN, b. 13 Apr 1836, Dytach, Fordyce, Banff; m. WILLIAM TURNER,    26 Apr 1855, R.C. Chapel, Portsoy, Fordyce, Banffshire. William was born 11 Apr 1831, Clashmore, Inveravon.

iii. JOHN PETERKIN, b. 17 Jul 1838, Fordyce, Banff; m. ELIZABETH NICOL, 07 Jul 1859,    Deskford, Banffshire; b. 1836.

Alexander Peterkin died, intestate, at Dytach on 11th September 1840. Jean (Anderson) Peterkin was appointed Executor of his Estate by the ‘Commissary for Banff’ The Estate was valued at £ 1655-1s-3¾d.

Regards, Alan

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 06 19:43 BST (UK) »

Alan
Many thanks that is a brilliant new piece of information for me to follow up on.  and explains (i hope) why my Gt Grandmother had Anderson as a middle name - my Grandmother says they all Grt Granny and her 15 siblings were given names of their ancestors! - which is kind of handy!

Are you researching this name - family line at all?

Mellie

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 April 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
Actually now looking at my notes - I dont think this is the Alexander PETERKIN i was hoping it was!
mine was born 1813 to Alexander PETERKIN and Jane MURRAY and died in 1870 in Parley.
I have his 2nd wife as Jean Nicol md Portsoy but yet to find 1st marriage - it says he was a widower on their marriage register entry.

many thanks anyway - shall keep all on file for cross reference.

Mellie

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 November 07 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexander Peterkin and Jane Murray were my ancestors. I have Alexander Peterkin their son b.1813. married Jane Nicol in Portsoy 1858. I'm descended from their daughter Jean b.1807 who married a George Muiry. The Peterkin's had been in the area for a long time, I have them back as far as James Peterkin born circa 1650.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline clfgd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 August 08 11:19 BST (UK) »
hi mellie,
i have a elizabeth peterkin 1833 of fordyce who married(1856 fordyce)  a james nicol1827 (brother of my 2xg/grandfather)
i have them living at backgreen fordyce from 1861-01.
on the 61 cen they have elizabeth,s sisters margaret 25 and jessie 17, brothers james 19 and john 16 living with them.
let me know if elizabeth is part of your tree

christine
gale -waltham abbey- middlesex -london
gibbs- northamptonshire-middlesex- london
constable -middlesex
nicol- deskford- fordyce-macduff-banffshire
smith/findlay- ayrshire
dick - markinch- auchtermuchty-fife
mcallister- belfast/glasgow
bailey- sussex
haffenden- sussex

Offline AlanZed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 09 02:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure how these fit into the families you have been looking at... but.... there are 3 closely sited gravestone for Peterkins in the Old Churchyard in Fordyce.  They read:

"Erected by Elizabeth G Nicol, in memory of her husband John Peterkin, Merchant in Cullen, one of Bailies of the Burgh and 1st Lieutenant 5th Banffshire Volunteer Artillery; born 25 June 1839, died 21 June 1871; and of the above Elizabeth G Nicol, who died at Burnside, Fordyce, on 28 January 1905 aged 70 years."

"Erected by Alexander Peterkin, Farmer in Skeith, to the memory of his father John Peterkin, later Farmer there, who died on the 22nd December 1820 agred 55 years.  Also of his brother James Peterkin, who died the 26th July the same year aged 7 years.  Likewise in memory of the above mentioned Alexander Peterkin who died at Dytach the 11th September 1810 aged 31 years."

"Erected to the memory of John Peterkin, 18 Feb 1803 and Mary Lumsden Peterkin, his wife, 7 March 1795."

Not located beside these ones but presumably connected (because of the Burnside link) there is:

"Erected by family in loving memory of their father John Allan, Burnside, Fordyce,who died 11 December 1911 in his 90th year.  Also their unlce Goerge who died at Little Gight, Fyvie, in 1877 aged 52 years.  Also their brother Alexander who died at Singapore 9 July 1901 aged 46 years.  Also their brother James who died 1 November 1911 aged 48 years and his wife Annie Jane Bremner who died 7 May 1905 aged 37 years.  Also their brother John who died at Chilliwack, B.C. 19 February 1918 aged 60 years and their mother Ann Peterking who died 9 July 1918 agred 83 years. "

The only other Peterkin reference in Fordyce Old Churchyard is:

"Erected by William Wilson, Feuar, Portknockie, in memory of his son James Geddes Wilson, who died 1 May 1869 aged 24 years.  Also of his grand-daughter Margaret Ann Peterkin, who died 4 August 1972 aged 2 years.  The above William Wilson died 2 November 1873 aged 68 years and Elizabeth Gray his wife 2 Oct 1873 aged 68 years.  Also of his daughter Elizabeth Wilson, wife of James Fordyce who died 7 June 1924 aged 76 years. Deeply regretted. "

Although no longer in existence there was another Peterkin stone which was trascribed in 1886.  At that time it read:

"In memory of James Wilkie, sometime in Barnyard, who departed this life 17 march 1749, and Isabel Peterkin his spouse who departed this life 23 March 1718.  This stone was erected by james Wilkie in Dytach, Capt. Alexander Wilkie and William Wilkie in Barnyards, their sons.  This is the burial place of them and their posterity. "

Hope some of this is some help.  I have photos of the gravestones.  If you want to see them let me know an e-amil address to send them to.

Regards

AlanZed