Author Topic: Elizabeth Hudson deported convict  (Read 6309 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Hudson deported convict
« on: Monday 07 July 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
Good evening
I am looking for some direction in finding information about the life of Elizabeth Hudson before she was convicted of stealing a gold ring and 27ib of currents, and sent off to the colony of Australia.

From the Mugsheet website of Australia she was Tried on  1 January 1839 and deported 9 May 1893 on the Hindostan bound for Tasmania Australia.  I have an excellent visage of her, and her future life but am stumped on tracing her English history.

From the Mugsheet I know the following English history:
Native Place: Wem Shropshire
Trade: Country servant, bake, milk, make cheese, dairy woman
Religion: Protestant
Can read but not write
Martial status: single
Relationships before trial:
  - Father:  Richard a Brewer (I haven't seen the original document so assume it is Brewer and not  farmer!)
  -  4 Sisters:  Jane, Sarah, Ann, Mary NP (I think NP means Native Place)

This is extremely interesting information however I cannot find her mother, or confirmed date of birth/place and wonder if this actually happend in Shropshire.
Unfortunately the first census occurs in 1841 but she has already gone to Australia by this time.
Her death cert in Australia gives no information on her English life.

Thank you in anticipation of reading this and offering any guidance,
Blacksmithy

Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hudson deported convict
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
When was she born
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 14 20:56 BST (UK) »
This record appears on the England and Criminal Records
Elizabeth Hudson birth year about 1823 Shopshire ...date of trial 1st January 1839 County of Salop Elizabeth Hudson aged 16 charge house breaking transportation 10years I assume the date she was transported was May 1839
Terrible what they done to them taking them away from their family and to think what they are getting away with now  :o :o

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 July 14 21:29 BST (UK) »

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 July 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
There is a death registration for a Richard Hudson in Wem in Q2 1860. Vol 6a page 499. Could be a potential candidate for her father.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all
thanks for the work you have done.  Yes I woke in the night thinking that I had failed to put down her year of birth which we calculated to be about 1813.  I arrived at this date from the information found on the Founders & Survivors: Mugsheets which stated she was 25 on arrival.  This date also ties in accurately with her death certificate which I have accessed in Australia.

Unfortunately the age on the Criminal Register says she was 16 when Tried, I assume this is an error as everything else stacks up.

Regarding the death of Richard at Wem, that is a possibility.  I have tried matching Elizabeth and her siblings with a Richard and the same mother, but to no avail yet.  I am still very unfamiliar with English records, so wonder what sort of information may be on Richards death cert before I look at ordering it.

The Founders & Survivors Mugsheet website is extremely good and would make a good reference point for those searching for transportation of convicts to Australia.

Thanks again and any further thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Blacksmithy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 00:46 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth HUDSON, 4ft 11 ½ inches tall, aged 25. Dairy Woman (see snip 1 for further info) tried Salop, Shrewsbury, 1 January 1839,  sentenced ten years transportation, of Native Place of Wern, (JM edit, it could read Wem  :D)  a Single person, a Protestant, who can read.    Her Father was Richard, a Brewer, and there is further info about her family too.  See snip 2.

These snips are from Convict Indents at the Tasmanian Archives, and these and further images are available online at the free to search website.   

. http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&type=C&id=34639

Fingers crossed this info will be of assistance, as these snips I have added seem to be from the originals  :)

I haven't seen the original document

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
The death certificate would show date and place of birth, full name, male/female, given age, occupation, profession or rank, the cause of death and pehaps duration of last illness. The name and address of the informant was on there as well as their relationship to the deceased, and where and when the death was registered.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again
thank you majm. the full copy is very very interesting not just with the details of her but also what she looked like.

Thank you also Craclyn, it looks like it could be worth my pursuing this option, will know work out were I go to get this.

Many thanks, and if anyone has any more info or thoughts on were to go please let me know. (It has been quite a day of discovery and networking)

Blacksmithy