Author Topic: James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.  (Read 9171 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 08:48 BST (UK) »
Kim try searching the digitised newspapers on TROVE.  Quite a lot about a James FREEMAN, boarding house keeper who died in 1881.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
There will also be a fair bit in trove on the Reynolds and Birds, Selina Reynolds Bird (2nd) she made a name for herself with horses. Reynolds made thier name in the Avon Valley with cattle, three women of the family are seen as the 1st women pioneers of WA, names are not with me, however it is an interesting story to follow as the family leave the area and go north to Robourne where William FREEMAN was Police Sarg and would travel to the "Boab Prison Tree" near Derby to pick up the prisoners and transport them back to Roebourne court 1900 period.
Freer, Stewart, Blair, Bruce, Wylie, Henderson, Nichols, Ward, Weddell, Waddell, Lear, Gruneison, Maitland, Freeman, Sawyers, Logan, Phillips, Whitely.
and several others.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 09:24 BST (UK) »
While I was searching today 1851 census I came across a Rebacca Freeman and this meant nothing until I re-read some of the earlier posts.
Note:
Extracted record on familysearch
James FREEMAN     
Baptism 24 Jul 1836  Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire   
Father     Robert FREEMAN  and mother Rebecca

In the census she is shown as a WIDOW so Robert could have died earlier and MAY be the father of James. That is if he was even born in England.

Good luck in your search

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Neil; Top find, I have never been able to find his parents.
Freer, Stewart, Blair, Bruce, Wylie, Henderson, Nichols, Ward, Weddell, Waddell, Lear, Gruneison, Maitland, Freeman, Sawyers, Logan, Phillips, Whitely.
and several others.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
we have the marriage cert with James Freeman and Ellen McGrath, this is correct, Ellen was married before, James' father is written in as James Freeman and occupation for both was "gunsmith" Ellens birth name was "Burns" they were married at Congregational chapel Fremantle,

Extracted record on familysearch
James FREEMAN     
Baptism 24 Jul 1836  Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire   
Father     Robert FREEMAN  and mother Rebecca

According to the Bishop's Transcripts, Robert was a labourer of Circus Street.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kimieoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all your information.  Just to throw a spanner in the works could James have been Irish? and not born in England at all.  Seeing there is discrepancies with his parents names, maybe the baptism record is not the James we are looking for?

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Freeman name is of both Ireland and England, so will have to look through that one.
and several others.

Offline labnowlaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 October 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all, newbie here.  Anyways Kimmieoz, James is my great great great grandfather. I also descend from William, but am uncertain which of his children begat my grandmother, Pearl Ida. I *think* it may have been Herbert. My mum, Annette, was also adopted out, so all this history greatly interests me, I just have so little time to put into researching it. I found it interesting that you bought up the Irish possibility - I always thought we were of some Irish decent, however I was advised most likely Scottish not Irish.

Offline kimieoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 August 15 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Flogged,

I haven't been on here for awhile and I didn't reply to your last email.  Yes Im in WA, Mandurah.  Have been very ill with 2 types of cancer would you believe, on the mend now.

I have some information about James Freeman.  I have obtained his death cert and he did diedof Phthisis (pronounced tiesis), it's wasting away from Tuberculosis.  Gee he must have had a hard life.  A convict, sent to Vasse, probably hard labour and I would say got TB way before it eventually took his life at 46.

I have emailed the Lancashire Archives in England about obtaining his conviction records and this is the reply I got......

Thank you for your email. We do have some records of the courts of quarter sessions in Lancashire, including order books and calendars of prisoners. These records are not name indexed and the registration number you have supplied will not help to locate the records. We do not offer a research service as resources are limited but we do have a list of local record agents who will do research for a fee. I have attached it to this reply and you can also find it on our website.

Our quarter sessions order books and petitions can now be found online on Ancestry, so if you have a worldwide subscription you can see the records on there.

So if we want this info we either pay someone to get it or go on Ancestry to try and locate it.  I dont have a membership, so maybe I should get one.

Did I also mention in an earlier email the his son William who became a policeman in Carnarvon did have actually 16 children not 11 as thought.  Here is a list of the names of the children.....
Sydney, Lilly, William, Ellen, Selina, Herbert, Edith, Samuel, Aubrey, Alfred, Maler, Rubina (my grandmother), Lorne, Avril, Ronald and Leonard.  I have their birth and death dates too.

Other information I have is that he ran a boarding house in the cappuccino strip, west end, on the bend after his pardon .