Author Topic: James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Keengeni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Flooged the record is from the Ancestral File on familysearch not International Genealogy Index.

IGI does have submitted records but it is mainly extracted parish records.

If you search IGI there is no birth for 1835 for James FREEMAN
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Not trying to be picky but feel it is necessary to be accurate with sources.  Do you think it is possible the the author of the record as assumed that James was born in 1835 in Salford, the information being taken from is convict record and death record?

K.

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Keengeni, the papers I have are copies of a copy or copy of the original, but of purchase dates 1981, I do understand that not everything one looks at on a site can be true or accurate, however, the notes written are much older and in appearence of at least 50 yrs with the typing and aged look of the paper.
One here in the site did make comment that he could not find a local James Freeman in Salford, but did site 2 " J Freeman" in lockup from Ireland at Salford, but I can only go by the marriage cert with James being the name of his father and also being a gunsmith. I only have the family record and his family life after arrival in Australia, there is no name attached to these notes for me to contact. I will have a look at something else, at top of the page in the notes it says, "Dictionary of WA Vol 3" that might be an official paper held on record.
Freer, Stewart, Blair, Bruce, Wylie, Henderson, Nichols, Ward, Weddell, Waddell, Lear, Gruneison, Maitland, Freeman, Sawyers, Logan, Phillips, Whitely.
and several others.

Offline Keengeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Flogged a bit confused here.  The extracted records on IGI are transcribed from Parish records and yes you certainly can't believe all you see on the internet but I wouldn't place extracted parish records in that basket. Submitted trees yes.

I am not trying to discredit what you have in your notes but there does not appear to be an  extracted parish record for a James FREEMAN was born c1835 with father James at Salford, Lancashire. 

Do you not agree there could be some guesswork in the Ancestral file by the submitter?

I would certainly agree that James FREEMAN would be in prison at the time of the 1861 census as he was tried in 1860 and transported in 1862.

Hopefully your other request will give you a better result.

K.

Offline kimieoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My great great grandfather was James Freeman. Lineage James/William/Rubina/Terrance/Kim.  In your post you say you have a marriage certificate for James.  What would be the possibility of a copy of that sent to my email address?  I would very much appreciate that if possible.

Much appreciate Kim Dawson

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim and welcome to Rootschat. ;)

This post is now a few years old and "Flogged" the OP hasn't been online for nearly two years. However if they still have the same email address then they will get a notification of your post.

Just as an aside I just went and checked the 1851 census for Salford Lancashire with James FREEMAN as my search person. There is one James and he is listed as a 44 yo old Pensioner (Chelsea)? Born 1807 and his wife Katherine 30 born 1820. Both are listed as born Ireland.

Don't put your email address on this forum it is outside of rules but if you make three posts you can use the Personal Message system and safely use that way. So a reply and one more post and you can talk directly to "Flogged"

Cheers

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline kimieoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Thank you so much for your helpful reply.  Ok great I understand about the email thing now thankyou.  Thanks for looking up the census for me however that isnt him.  He was born in, we think 1835 because he was 27 when he came out on the Norwood ship in 1862.

Well hopefully I will get a reply from flogged.

Thanks once again for your help much appreciated...Kim

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, yes I am still here and today 13 Aug 2014 is the 1st email notice I have ever had out of here, I use to visit everyday to see if there were updates but saw nothing..
kimieoz, unfortuneatly I do not have the record at hand, we have moved house a couple of times and now all out stuff is in storage units, bit hard to get on to if you know what I mean.

Freer, Stewart, Blair, Bruce, Wylie, Henderson, Nichols, Ward, Weddell, Waddell, Lear, Gruneison, Maitland, Freeman, Sawyers, Logan, Phillips, Whitely.
and several others.

Offline kimieoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Oh no problems about the certificate.  I am thinking of going to the State Library to do some more investigation on James.  I might find some snippets of things about his character and what daily life was like for him.  He died rather young at 46 do you know the cause of death?  My father Terrance was adopted and his mother was Rubina Lottie Freeman the 12 child of William and Charlotte Bird.  So until now we have never know anything about this line of our family.  HOw are you connected to the Freemans?

Thanks Kim

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 08:36 BST (UK) »
kimieoz; yes they had a big family, I have the name Lottie but didn't know of the Rubina part, from memory James was a gunsmith before transportation, when he got his ticket of leave he was allowed to go back to being a gunsmith, please don't go on those actual words I lot the family tree details when PAF5 stopped being a brogram, it was suggested I get Legacy to to open the file but the Legacy swiped it all off the disc and now it's all gone so I have to start it all over again.
If I may ask, Are you in WA or elsewhere?
and several others.