Author Topic: Death of William Henry STANSFIELD, Moruya 1894  (Read 2052 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of William Henry STANSFIELD, Moruya 1894
« on: Wednesday 15 October 14 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

I'm now trying to find out a bit more about this gentleman.  He was born apparently in either Yorks or Lanc around 1853 and came to Australia in the late 1880s.  He married Alice Maud MERRY in Qld in 1884.

They had children in Enfield NSW, Silverton NSW, Summer Hill NSW, at the last, Valerie Gladys STANSFIELD, in Moruya in 1894.  He died in Moruya the same year, aged 41.  I may well order his death certificate if curiousity gets the better of me, but I was surprised I couldn't find any obituary information about him.  I wonder if he moved to the South Coast for his health? 
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Death of William Henry STANSFIELD, Moruya 1894
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi ctrunfree,
   I can't see a probate notice on trove.

However I can check NSW State Records next time I am there (maybe a month).   A probate in 1894/95 won't appear on the online index of probates - it's part of the gap years where you have to search the microfiche for the probate packet number.

If there is a probate packet then it may contain the death cert.

regards,
   Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 04:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ros, if its not too much trouble that would be appreciated.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 04:44 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I am a tad old fashioned when it comes to fh researchings, but I do tend to go for the BDM certificates where I think I will find information provided first hand by  the person I am concentrating on. Yes, I do have dc info, but usually I aim for marriage, or birth certs of the children, especially as so many of my ancestors were NSW settlers, in early colonial penal times.     

So, NSW BDMs will give you the details about not just the child whose birth is being registered, but also information about that child’s parents, and quite often Dad was the one registering the births.    So if you were to obtain the birth registration for the youngest child, you would get details for the older siblings,  and their parents.   

The details about the parents includes : where born (often the County, not just the overseas country), the then ages of each, the occupation of the Dad, and the date and place of their marriage, and the then address and relationship of the informant to the baby being registered.     Fingers crossed that this information will allow you to determine if your chap was born in Lancashire or in Yorkshire.

He was born apparently in either Yorks or Lanc around 1853 and came to Australia in the late 1880s.  He married Alice Maud MERRY in Qld in 1884.   They had children in Enfield NSW, Silverton NSW, Summer Hill NSW, at the last, Valerie Gladys STANSFIELD, in Moruya in 1894.  He died in Moruya the same year, aged 41. .....

His NSW BDM dc is ref #8632
Valerie bc is ref # 21866

Perhaps his wife's extended family were in the area?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 06:23 BST (UK) »
JM

Thanks, I'm just seeing if I can get the info I'm after without parting with the $31 for the certificate.  Not tight, just careful  ;)

I've since sorted out that he was definitely born in Pudsey (Sep Q 1853 Bradford Y 9b 210) to William STANSFIELD and Dorothy SALTER, so its really his movements to and in Australia and the circumstances of his death I'm concentrating on now. 

The family seems to disappear from the area between the 1861 and 1871 Census, so it suggests they may well have emigrated between these years.  (You couldn't blame them, Pudsey had the reputation as being on of the most polluted places in England, lying as it does in a hollow between Bradford and Leeds).

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi ctrunfree,
   You can purchase a transcription for about $19 and it arrives by e-mail within a couple of weeks.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html

See details of 3 transcription agents at bottom of  home page

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 06:31 BST (UK) »
Snap Ros  :)  yes,  and they are listed at the NSW resources board too.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

and here too

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both, I'll remember that if I think I definitely need to see the details.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 06:54 BST (UK) »
I should know better…they are still there in Pudsey in 1871 and onwards..but the Census taker had managed to make her first name Dorsthea, hence my search missed her...