Author Topic: Another scam!!  (Read 7867 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Another scam!!
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 04:13 BST (UK) »
Last night at 7:30pm, my wife received a call allegedly from Telstra. They stated that my PC had been hacked, and they were going to shut down my internet connection for 15 days to “examine” the situation. My wife gave me the phone, and after some testing on my part, I came to the conclusion that it was a scam. The person made several basic errors regarding the post code for North Sydney, 2000 to them, and certain other errors which as I had worked at North Sydney for 37 years, I detected straight away. When I called the person on the fact it was a scam, I got sworn at, and hung up on.

I think it is a rebadged Microsoft scam, so all of you, be aware, and treat them as such

A Chesters

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another scam!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 14 04:43 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 14 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the warning.  I just hang up when I answer the phone and get the tell-tale short silence at the other end although I do occasionally play along for ages just to waste their time, if I have nothing else to do (or I'm avoiding the ironing basket  :o ) ;D
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 14 05:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Cando. I had not looked at the website, as it was the first time we had encountered it.

One reason I could play him along was I was a tech with Telstra, at North Sydney where he claimed to be calling from. It is a little difficult to trip me up there, but buildings have changed, but not the streets.

judb, you are welcolme. I just wanted people here to be aware.

AC

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 October 14 05:25 BST (UK) »
You can register for free SCAMwatch email alerts  from that Govt website. 

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/SCAMwatchRadar

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 October 14 05:33 BST (UK) »
I've partly solved the problem of the unsolicited calls.

Our landline is on the 'Do not call' register.
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

I have caller ID on the landline and never answer any 'Private caller', 'Number Withheld' or 'Overseas Private' calls.

If I answer a call with an Australian phone number and not interested eg surveys, charities [we donate to selected charities directly], selling products eg solar panels etc. I simply say it is company policy not to accept calls such as theirs on this landline and hang up.  I've better things to do with my time :P

Most of our business contacts call our mobiles as do family and friends.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 October 14 06:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am on the  Gov sont call register, but still get the calls.

I also have had calls from this mob about my computer, I tell them in my best "old Lady Voice" that I don't have a computer, if they would give me one I would be very happy. I go on and on about how kind they are giving me a computer, they soon get sick of it and hang up.

I used the same ploy when they told me I had had a car accident and wanted to help me with my insurance, They never rang back with the same scam.

I try to have as much fun as possible with these calls.

Cass

Ps just had a call from "overseas" from my Electricity Company called AGO. which is not where I get my electricity from, told him that I had no friend called Ago, when he persisted I told them that the person he wanted to talk to had died, and he said sorry and hung up.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 October 14 06:18 BST (UK) »
Cando, our problem is that some of our friends come up as private on our caller ID, so we more or less have to answer private calls, to see if it is one of them. Our land line comes up as private as we have the information blocked normally, but have the fast dial set to send our number to family.

We are also on the Do Not Call Register, but that does not stop the scammers from just dialing away.

Good one Cass, I will keep that in the back of the mind.

AC

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 October 14 06:55 BST (UK) »
I had the one from Virgin wanting to give me a refund on my last flight if only I would give them my bank account number.  I kept asking which flight did they mean and when was it and managed to keep them on the phone for 15 minutes until I told them they were lying as I haven't had a Virgin flight for over 3 years LOL 

As I said before, you can usually work out it's the scammers when there is that gap between youanswering and them answering - at least you are prepared then! 

I've also told any of our friends whose number shows as "Private Caller" to ring again straight away if it's not answered.

Judith