Author Topic: John Alexander Stewart dob 14 AUG 1874 Antrim, Ireland (possibly Balleymoney)  (Read 5849 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander Stewart dob 14 AUG 1874 Antrim, Ireland (possibly Balleymoney)
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 September 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
Just making sure you do have the full file as the 2 pages are only enlistment information & there are many other pages available...If you had ordered the full military files to be scanned, they should be online in a digitized PDF format file along with the CEF signups that are already there to view...

If I do find anything in Canada I'll add to a query on the Canada board  :)  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline kalviewdrive

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Alexander Stewart dob 14 AUG 1874 Antrim, Ireland (possibly Balleymoney)
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 September 14 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks J.J..

I did try to get my grandfather's information on-line, but unfortunately it is not available as the government is digitalizing everything to put on-line, and their new site will be available sometime in a few years (!!!! - yes, our Canadian tax$s are really working for us).  Thank you for all the suggestions.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 27 September 14 02:13 BST (UK) »
They were supposed to put it online right away...it is already digitized so what is the 2 seconds to upload the file and make a link?? That site urks me now, although it once was a "well created tool"... Now just reverse those last 3 words...hee, that's a good one, actually  :)

BTW... You had 14 AUG 1874 Antrim as John's birth date in the subject line and it was also in the CEF signup & death info ( I also see it was stated on the 1901) altho I do realize home children made mistakes...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline kalviewdrive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 27 September 14 02:40 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's birthdate is a subject that my cousin and I have discussed at length!  And laughed about! He played fast loose with the date and the year of birth, depending on the situation - should I be older in this situation, or should I be younger in that situation! My cousin reckons that in the end our grandfather  didn't even know what the correct date was!  He was such a small wiry man, that it would have been difficult to accurately judge. During WWII he had a job as a watchman and had given his age to be in the low 60's, and this was after he had retired from years working with the Parks Board! He worked hard all his life.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 September 14 17:42 BST (UK) »
aghadowey, et al, you really opened the doors on the research for the Stewart home children threads.  :D Just Charles in Canada ( after 1891) & Margaret ( probably stayed in ireland) to be found. Not keeping track anymore, but I'd still say we certainly have a high percentage success rate in finding these wee ones! Congrats all around

Offline kalviewdrive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 28 September 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, J.J. I would never have gotten off the ground without all the help!  It is amazing to be able to end up where we are now, given all the incorrect dates that John Alexander had given at various times in his life. He was such a gentle and naïve  old man, which is amazing for all that was thrown at him in his younger years.