Author Topic: Burke's of Mounthoward  (Read 22766 times)

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burke's of Mounthoward
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hello All.

Sad news.

Marks Burke passed away yesterday, the last of the siblings born to Patrick Burke and Margaret Mythen.

He was in his 95th year.

Funeral tomorrow, Wednesday, in Monamolin after 11 o'clock Mass.

May he rest in peace.

Mogue.
All in County Wexford
Breslin/Breslawn: Monaseed
Burke: Monamolin.
Byrne: Ballycanew.
Cullimore: Killurin.
Dempsey: North Co.Wexford
Doyle: Horetown.
Doyle: Killurin.
Doyle: Newbawn.
Fardy: Killurin.
Kinsella: Ballycanew.
Kinsella: Killenagh.
Kinsella: Monamolin.
Larkin: Killurin.
Lumsden: All Wexford
Moran: Adamstown.
Moran: Killurin.
Mythen: Oulart.
Ryan: Killurin.
Swords: Monamolin.
Tee/Tighe: Coolafancy, Co. Wicklow.
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.
Wafer: Ballygarrett/Monamolin

Offline psun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 July 15 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am also researching Burke's of Mounthoward (just beginning and haven't got very far).
James Burke born approx 1903 Gorey, Co. Wexford, mother's maiden name of Mythen - is my Grandfather. 1911 Census shows him at Mounthoward Lower with parents Patrick and Maggie Burke (nee Mythen). Can anyone here please kindly provide any information regarding this family line/tree? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Psun.

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 July 15 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Psun, welcome to the Burke family research.

My wife is a Grand Daughter Mary Kinsella (nee Burke), sister of your James Burke.

Where did James move to?

I attach photo of headstone in Monamolin Graveyard.

Michael Burke died 1953 (brother of James)
Mary Kinsella died 1999 (sister of James)
Margaret Burke (nee Mythen) died 1961 (Mother of James)
Patrick Burke died 1963 (Father of James)

Parents of Patrick Burke (died 1963) were Patrick Burke and Margaret Swords. They had eight children.

I attach details of the 8 children

Margaret Swords parents were Michael Swords and Mary Kinsella. They married in 1832.

Follow the Swords Kinsella thread here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=464164.0

I will send more photos next time

Bye for now
Mogue

All in County Wexford
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 July 15 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Psun

Before the Monamolin Register was started, all the records appear in the Kilmuckridge (LITTER) Register. The Link is:

Kilmuckridge (Litter):  http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0600

They cannot be searched by name, but they can by date. So I used the Event Filter for MARRIAGES and Date Filter for 1832. It brought me straight to the marriage of Michael Swords and Mary Kinsella on page 75.

You will notice that their marriage is entered twice in the Register, on page 75 and 76, with the entry on p. 76 crossed out. Note the different witnesses.

I attach a copy of both entries.
We will now have to find all their children in the Baptisms, good hunting.

Regards
Mogue

All in County Wexford
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.

Offline psun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 July 15 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Mogue,

Thanks for all that information about my Great-Grand parents and their siblings - and the photo too!
It was nice to be able to show my mother the gravestone of her grand parents and the place where they are from and lived.

Regarding my Grand Father James (b.1902), He married Ellen (nee Manley) and they lived inside the Collins Barracks at Dillion's Cross in Cork, James was a Provost Sergeant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins_Barracks,_Cork

They had 5 children whilst they lived in the barracks, all girls. The first was born in 1933 and the last in 1944. There was a RC church inside the Barracks's too where I understand the children were baptised.
Ellen was originally from Limerick but I don't know the story of how she and James met, but I did find an entry for their marriage in the civil registrations index (for the registration district of Limerick) in 1932.

In about 1948 the family moved to England, they lived in the city of Bradford in the County of West Yorkshire. There Ellen died in 1957 at the age of 50 and James Died in 1979 at the age of 76.

Thanks for the link to the Swords Kinsella thread, there is some very interesting information in there too, I shall be investigating the links to the online parish records to see if anything turns up. I am a bit confused by the references to the Margaret that married three times though, if she was our Margaret then wouldn't one of her three husbands have been called Burke? I see all three husbands have been named on the thread by one of her descendants on the thread - but none of them are Burke? How can this Margaret be Margaret Mythen (or even Margaret Swords)?

To date I have been using the "Ancestry" web site, as a member, for researching and building up the Burke family tree and for doing record searches online, but I have not gotten so far with that. Hopefully these parish records will give me some new leads.

It would be great to see any more photos if you have them and thanks again for your help!

Regards and bye for now,

Patrick.

Offline psun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 July 15 06:55 BST (UK) »
Ah, hello again Mogue!

I see you have just posted as I was typing my own post!
I'll be sure to check out the Kilmuckridge register for baptisms too.
Thanks again.

Patrick

Offline psun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 July 15 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching my Grandad, John (Jack) Burke b1908 and his parents Patrick b1800 & Margaret (Maggie) Mythen b 1881. I have recently received a copy of the 1911 Census for him and have found out the names of his siblings for the first time.
Patrick b 1902
James b 1903
Charles b 1906
Maggie b 1909
They lived in Mounthoward Lower, Monamolin, Gorey Co. Wexford.
My Grandad died in 1997 and until I started my quest no one in the family knew anything about his Irish family at all, which is funny seeing that he had 6 children. Does anybody out there know of the family or better still are doing research as well and may have any of them in their tree. I would really appreciate any infomation as living in the UK it is very hard to do any kind of research.
Cheers
Westy

Hi Westy,

I am the Grandson of the "James b 1903" in your list(above). Please read my other posts in this thread for some further information regarding James Burke.
Also any questions you think I may be able to help you with then please feel free to ask! or if you have discovered any family history relating to our common ancestors the please let me know as I am also currently researching the Burke's of Mounthoward.

Regards,

Patrick.

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 July 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick

Great to hear from you.

The information in the family was that James joined the Army in Cork and then went to England and joined? the Army in England.

James’s brother Joe married and lived in England.

James’s sister Maggie married and lived in England.

Did James have any contact with them?

I will check if I have any address for them.

The last time James was home was about 1958/60.

The Margaret who married 3 times was an Aunt of James (b.1902). She was a daughter of Patrick Burke and Margaret Swords and appears in the chart above, born 14th May 1882. All the Margarets make it a bit confusing.

I will look for my list of all James’s (b1902) brothers and sisters and send it to you.

Bye for now
Mogue
All in County Wexford
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 July 15 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick I am the grandson of John Burke your Grandfathers younger brother and its great to hear from you. I see you have been communicating with Michael (Mogue) he has a lot of info on the Burke line and is a great help. I have been over to Ireland a few times and met Michael who took me on an amazing journey showing me all the places that the Burke's lived I even went back with my Mum, my Uncle Kevin, Auntie Shelia & Auntie Christine and met many of the surviving relatives who they had never met. We were lucky enough to meet Marks Burke and his wife Bridie before he unfortunately died. He was one of the youngest boys and they had no idea what had happened to their brother John when he left for England, was it the same for James, did he ever communicate back to Ireland. I am in the process of going through my Burke research as I am going to Dublin in a few weeks and hope to find out more. I have several certificates for our shared Great Grand Parents Patrick & Maggie which I will sort and send to you in a PM. I have a few photo's as well so for now I will add one of Patrick Burke, its not very good but I am lucky to have it
cheers Steve
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury