Author Topic: Scotts of Morebattle  (Read 3207 times)

Offline janenicho

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotts of Morebattle
« on: Friday 11 November 11 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on Susan Scott born Morebattle about 1833.  I have found her on 1841 census with mother and two sisters but do not have father's name; again on 1851 census as a servant.  Particularly interested in how she found her way to Cork, Ireland by 1855 when she married there.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scotts of Morebattle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Susan Scott was born at Morebattle on 4th August 1832 to Elliot Scott and his spouse Dorothea Knox. Out of curiosity I looked up the OPR on Scotlandspeople, and Elliot Scott was the "steward" at Morebattle Mains. The same page of the births register has an entry for the birth of their daughter Jessie on 30th March 1830.

Harry

Offline janenicho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that Harry, this makes perfect sense as I have uncles with middle names Elliott Scott and Knox! 
Thanks Jane

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 11 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
In the mid nineteenth century every summer saw a large influx of irish labourers into the Borders to help with the harvest, so perhaps that is how Susan met her future husband. The 1850s was also the period when railways were being built in the Borders, utilising large numbers of Irish labourers.

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 13 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to fetch up an old post, but i am related to these people. Dorothea Knox is the cousin of my great x5 grandfather George Knox.
Id be interested to hear from you

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline janenicho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 September 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Ditto re fetching up an old post! Sorry I missed this at the time.  Dorothea Knox and Elliott Scott's daughter Susan was my great grandmother.  She married William Ross in County Cork in 1855.  They remained in Ireland and my mother, who was their grand-daughter, was born in Blarney and emigrated in 1948 to Australia, where I was born.  I would be interested to know if you have any details of Dorothea Knox's parents?

Regards

Jane