Author Topic: TREECE, TRIECE, TRICE, TREES, TRAICE, TRACE in Barton in Fabis  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Sarco

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ancestor Archaeologist
    • View Profile
TREECE, TRIECE, TRICE, TREES, TRAICE, TRACE in Barton in Fabis
« on: Monday 24 September 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace an ancestor, William TREES,  who turned up in Sawley Derbyshire in 1714 with his wife Elizabeth and infant son William. William jnr was buried at Sawley 8 Mar 1714/15 and the couple had another ten children there, including Lester bap. 21 Apr 1718.

They were amongst the poor of the parish with William receiving 1s9d from the Hollingsworth Charity in 1729/30/31. Elizabeth was bur. Sawley 18 Dec 1737 and William snr 8 Oct 1748.

I have not been able to find a baptism for William snr or jnr, nor a marriage to Elizabeth and I have searched familysearch, Phillimores and the NFHS CDs. They do not appear in the Sawley PR prior to 1714, although there are no entries at all in the PR from 1691 to 1697 but there is no other Treece family in the parish.

However, there is a clue!

Lester TRICE of Barton co. Nottm. mar Christian SMEDLEY otp at Sawley on 13 Jan 1686. They returned to Barton in Fabis where they baptised Hannah 20 Nov 1687 bur 21 Nov 1687, Mary 4 Apr 1689 and John 8 Feb 1690.  Leicester was most likely bap at BiF on 22 Mar 1662 s/o John Treece and Dorothy Unknown. Lester (sometimes Leicester) was bur at BiF 2 Dec 1740, surviving his wife Christian nee Smedley who was bur. at BiF on 24 Dec 1728.

But no William unfortunately but there is another clue in that William named one of his sons Lester in 1718 as above. Lester is quite a rare name so I'm hoping that he commemorated his father/relative when he baptised the infant.

That is all I know about William so I am hoping someone will be able to help find him in a place I haven't yet looked.

Thank you

Darryl
Sydney Australia
SMEDLEY, Sawley DBY & Sydney NSW
PELLOW, Cornwall
OLSEN, Norway (yes I know, there is a lot of them!)

Offline Sarco

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ancestor Archaeologist
    • View Profile
Re: TREECE, TRIECE, TRICE, TREES, TRAICE, TRACE in Barton in Fabis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm reviewing some of my old posts so I thought I would revive this one in the chance that it may ring a bell with somebody.

Darryl
Sydney, Australia
PELLOW, Cornwall

Offline citman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darryl,
can you tell me if the name Gervase, Gervas or Jarvis occur in your Treece history? I have ancestors who were not far from Sawley, in a place called Stapleford.

Shaun

Offline Sarco

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ancestor Archaeologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the response Shaun and welcome to RootsChat. You'll find a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable  people here.

Regrettably, your Treece names do not occur in my ancestry. My Sawley Treeces (all spellings) after 1714 are Margaret begat John (illegitimate), begat siblings Robert and Elizabeth. She married my Smedley ancestor Thomas SMEDLEY at Sawley on 18 Nov 1805.

I'm sure there is a link somewhere as there are a small number of Treece families in the tri-county area of Nottingham, Derbyshire and Leicestershire in the late 17th and early 18th century. Its just so damned hard to link them.

Lester is a clue for my lot as I'm sure Gervase &c. will be for yours.

Regards
Darryl
PELLOW, Cornwall