Author Topic: Mcmechan james renwick  (Read 6372 times)

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mcmechan james renwick
« on: Friday 25 September 09 07:30 BST (UK) »
first timer, looking for mcmechan family from down. father james mother mary m/s wallace. children sarah abt 1857 donald abt 1863 james renwick abt 1864 mary jane, robert 9/12/1865 and isaac 20/4/1868
from Ballygowan and Kilmood children went to scotland abt 1881 mother remained ireland. no further info on father
can anyone help  as this is the first time using this forum i hope you can assist with suggestions
cassofromdyers
Completed

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mcmechan james renwick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 09 07:49 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

You can use the above details to get marriage certificate details from GRONI

OTTO

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 09 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Welcome to Rootschat. OTTO appears to have found your spelling but I have found a James McMAHON who married Mary Wallace On 30 Aug 1853 In Ballygowan Presbyterian Church, Killinchy Parish, Newtownards.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 09 08:20 BST (UK) »
Wow this is exciting. Suggestions in no time. Have had basic info for years but not followed up irish history. Have children in Scotland and those that came to Australia. Sarah, Donald and Isaac stayed in Scotland.
Now how do I go about obtaining these certificates. Is it a stab in the dark or just pot luck? Only familiar with NSW BD&M. Do they cost much? Am on limited resources. Thank you very much for your replies

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 September 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this could be another child (from IGI)?
Mary Jane McMecham born  Feb.1873 Ireland, daughter of James McMecham and Mary Wallace

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, Mary Jane was a sister of my James Renwick. She married James Jordan (do not know where or when) but came to Australia like James Renwick. Still have not found his birthdate. Found Robert 9/12/1865 and Isaac 20/4/1868 at Kilmood on Ros Davies site as Civil Registrations.
Sister Sarah abt 1857 had daughter Margaret in Newtonards, Scotland in 1875 then married David Laird widower in 1892.
Brother Donald abt 1863 married Catherine Casey in Edinburgh in 1885. They had Mary Agnes, Donald Cargill and Isaac Tait all born in Scotland. Donald may have died in Scotland.
Brother Isaac died in Govan Glasgow in 1940 a bachelor. Family talks of a Samuel. I have not found any info on him yet.
James Renwick was a Quarryman, owned a large quarry in Sydney. His father was a quarryman. Only have information on this family from when they were in Scotland.
Family Bible inscribed "a present to James Renwick McMechan of New South Wales Australia from his Mother Mary McMechan alias Wallace of lovely Magherascourse ha.ppy is the Dead which Die in the Lord". On first page - To The most high and mighty prince JAMES, by the grace of God, King of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, defender of the Faith &c. All this is printed in capital letters.
Any further help on irish roots very much appreciated.
Thanks again

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Newtownards is in Co. Down- don't know of one in Scotland. Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 which is why you've had difficulty finding the earlier births for James and Mary's children.
James and Mary's marriage certificate should list their fathers' names and occupations.
Church records (if they cover the right period) may give you more details of the children's birthdates, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your assistance. Will check out the marriage certificates suggested. Maybe it will help me further.

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 September 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, Mary Jane was a sister of my James Renwick. She married James Jordan (do not know where or when) Thanks again

8th April 1901 James Jordan married Mary Jane McMechan at Comber First Presbyterian Church County Down .

OTTO