Author Topic: Brotherton/Bretherton of Warrington, Lancs  (Read 5779 times)

Offline michelle l

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brotherton/Bretherton of Warrington, Lancs
« on: Monday 09 February 09 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Researching Richard Brotherton or Bretherton m. Mary Willson, 1790 Winwick, Lancashire (name confusion according to handwriting, I think).

Children include my ancestor Richard (b. abt 1806 Warrington), plus Sarah, Jesse, Samuel & William. Some connection to being glassmakers - have seen an entry for a Jesse Bretherton as a glassmaker living in Oliver St Warrington 1829.

Believe Richard & Mary lived in Warrington, and have located some records connecting to St Elphin's. Would love to confirm that this is my ancestor's family, as there is another Richard Bretherton buried 25/6/1828 age 23 at St Elphin's, which is a little close for comfort.

My Richard married a Frances Lilian Dickins in Chelsea 1835. They emigrated to Australia in 1849, after spending some time in France and London. Would love to hear from any other descendants.

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brotherton/Bretherton of Warrington, Lancs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 11 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've just found your post from 2009, so hope this message will still reach you!

Richard Brotherton/Bretherton/Bratherton and Mary Willson from Warrington were my gt gt gt grandparents.

From what I've been able to find, I think they had at least 12 children - one of them being Enoch, b1802 who married Mary Hulse and then Mary Ann Scousill.  Enoch and Mary Ann had 7 children, including Jane, my gt grandmother.

I would love to make contact with other relations, especially as I've been grinding to a halt with various lines (as you say, not helped by the variations in spelling!).
Skelly (Liverpool/Ayrshire/St Vincent)
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Mortimer (Wigan/Harrogate)
Dean (Leeds)
Wilmshurst (Liverpool/Deal)
Sides (Oswestry/Liverpool)

Offline michelle l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 February 11 08:25 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Wow! Thanks so much for responding! I would love to make contact, and I am in touch with a few other Aussie descendants who will be very excited about your response. I always suspected that Richard and Mary had more children than those we have been able to confirm. I have so many questions, and so much to share with you regarding the line descended from their son Richard (b.1806). My email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Jennywrenn54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Enoch Bretherton b. 1803 was my GGGGrandfather.  His son William  b. 1850 Warrington was also a Glass Cutter and moved to Stourbridge Worcestershire, where he married Louisa Lavender and they had a son Walter John b. 1875.  Walter also a Glass cutter, married Agnes Hand and they had my grandmother Beatrice. b. 1902.
I also, would love to hear from any descendants of Richard's.

Offline michelle l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 August 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennywrenn54, So good to hear from you.  :) Do you know anything of Mary Willson's & Richard Snr's background (parents of Enoch and Richard), and whether their ancestors were from Warrington or even Lancashire? I have been trying to find out for years why Richard Jnr and his wife Frances/Fanny went to France before they went back to England and then ultimately came to Australia. They had several children there, only one of whom survived (Marie Josf, born in Versaille). It would be great to find out any connections the Brotherton/Bretherton's may have had with France. Of interest, I have a dark glass vase embellished with a posy of flowers that has been handed down in our family. It is very old, and likely made by one of the family.

Offline Jennywrenn54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 August 14 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Michelle l.  It was such a surprise to hear from you so quickly, thank you.  I am sorry but I do not have any information whatsoever about Richard or Mary.  I too have searched and searched for about ten years now.   My Grandmother Beatrice nee Bretherton, did tell my Father that we had connections in France, but I always presumed that it was on my Grandfathers side, although I have drawn a blank there also.  Unfortunately, I never knew my Grandmothers family, and both my Grandmother and Father had passed away before I started my family tree.   

Regards Jenny.

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

Richard and Mary Brotherton were my 3x great grandparents too!  They had a son, Enoch, and his daughter Jane was my great grandmother.

I live relatively near to Warrington and have been to their Records Office a couple of times, but haven't got any further back with the family than Richard and Mary.  I must admit I haven't looked at my Brotherton/Bretherton family for a while, but it's on my to do list!

Best wishes,

Janet
Skelly (Liverpool/Ayrshire/St Vincent)
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Mortimer (Wigan/Harrogate)
Dean (Leeds)
Wilmshurst (Liverpool/Deal)
Sides (Oswestry/Liverpool)