Author Topic: A Brick Wall (demolished) - Mary Dorothea THRUSTON - COMPLETED  (Read 19198 times)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Brick Wall - Mary Dorothea THRUSTON
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi KHP,

That's a very good idea.

I have sent a message to the owner of the SECCOMBE tree from the URL posted by TwiggyTree in Reply #58, so fingers crossed.

All the references kind provided from Papers Past have been transcribed. I wonder what happened to Herbert Francis THRUSTON to cause his death in 1917?

I have found the precis of Herbert Edwards THRUSTON's probate in the National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1861-1941 (ENG & WLS):
Year: 1917
Page: p.74
THRUSTON Herbert Edwards of Mangere Auckland New Zealand died 15 November 1915 Administration (with Will limited) London 22 September to Edgar BARRY Secretary attorney of the Guardian Trust and Executors Company limited. Effects £4200 15s 2d. Resworn £4438 2s 9d.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 04:33 BST (UK) »
Just curious spades how you work out which # the reply is (without counting them all) or do you have privileges that show this?

The posthumous probate in England is interesting as this means that a couple of years after dear Herbert's death, someone discovered that he still had a will/assets in England too.  I wonder if it complemented or contradicted the one here?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 04:39 BST (UK) »
Hi TwiggyTree,

Yours was reply#64 and this will be #65. If you look under the topic title for each post you should see the word 'Reply' in bold with a number after it. Let me know if you don't see it.

I agree with you about herbert's ENG Will. I will try to get a copy of his NZ one.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 04:52 BST (UK) »

I wonder what happened to Herbert Francis THRUSTON to cause his death in 1917?
limited. Effects £4200 15s 2d. Resworn £4438 2s 9d.[/i]

Spades

Maybe you need to do some digging ....  maybe he took ill?  This was the year before the 1918 Flu Epidemic.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 04:57 BST (UK) »
Aaaaah...d'oh.  Never 'saw' that before. Thanks. I was trying all the techie things like hovering over links on the page/post to try and find it!

[It disappears in the mode where you have the reply to thread box at the top and all the previous messages down below though :( ]

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 05:37 BST (UK) »
I began with only mild curiosity but Mary Dorothea is now starting to become an obsession...

I've checked FreeBMD and NSW BDM for marriages and deaths under both THRUSTON and RILEY: no joy.

Where on earth did she go?

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 06:34 BST (UK) »
LOL, just done the same thing!!

Also checked Vic, AU.

What I was thinking was, in general was that it would be to gather a list of ports that ships from each of the NZ ports sailed to in particular years, especially seeing as we don't have outwards shipping lists.  Then we could narrow down which country to search their inwards passenger lists.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 06:56 BST (UK) »
Also tried ACT marriages with the following policy "Access to index information is available where the marriage ocurred more than 75 years ago." and ACT deaths with this time frame " Access to index information is available where the death ocurred more than 30 years ago. "

Searched QLD, marriages to 30/12/1934 and deaths to 31/12/1964

Think I searched WA accurately: DEATHS (1841-1966) and MARRIAGES (1841-1936) (It has a slightly unusual interface)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks TwiggyTree,

I think the next step is to find her mother's death notice to see if she is mentioned, and go from there.

I didn't think that the 'M. THRUSTON' mentioned as a pupil at Dunedin's St Dominic's was Mary Dorothea but it certainly could be. Well-off farmers sending their children to finishing school, etc.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG