Author Topic: Cassidy family to Manchester 1850-1860  (Read 11756 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cassidy family to Manchester 1850-1860
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 December 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Family Search also has a marriage :

4 September 1851 Ballymachugh Cavan

James Cassidy- father Edward Cassidy
Rosanne McCully-father William McCully

Griffiths for Ballymachugh
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/cavan/ballymachugh.htm
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracker2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 December 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Well done Heywood !

That's good news.

Tracker2
Counties = Somerset, Wilts, Lancs, Essex

Britten, Moore, James, Weeks, Fox, Selway, Treasure,
Sturgis, Snelgrove, Millard, Lippiatt, Chivers, Kay, Cassidy, Cooke, Flack, Bebbington, Shetler

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 December 10 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Well, it's something to check at least.  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gavvyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Tracker 2

My grandmother (b.1905 Glasgow) was a daughter of Annie Cassidy, whose family came from Donegal. She recalls an 'Uncle Eddie from Manchester' (ie Edward Cassidy) a relative of her mother (possible her mother's uncle) visiting Glasgow from Manchester a few times.  Plus Annie Cassidy herself (my grand mother's mother) had two brothers, John and James who left Glasgow to live in Salford and Manchester around the 1890s.   Don't know if we have a link?

Offline Tracker2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Gavvyn.

Thanks for your information. I had a look at my collection of data from a few years ago but found nothing that links my findings with your Cassidys. As you have probably found, many Cassidys left Ireland and went to the Manchester area in the second half of the 19th century and they had common names.

My Cassidy ancestors were probably from Kilnaleck, Cavan. 
Rosanna (or Rose Ann) and James came over about 1864 with their children, William, Joseph, John, James, Edward, Alicia and Maragaret Ann. Edward was only a baby at the time.

In the 1871 Census the family lived in 12 Vauxhall St. Manchester. In the 1881 Census they lived at 46 Mill St, Bradford (central Manchester) and Edward age 17 is recorded as a Clerk in Oil Works.
I believe he married Mary E Fawcett in 1886 and in 1891 lived in the Ashton/Audenshaw/Droylesdon area of Manchester.

My own tree passes down the Margaret Ann line, so I don't have any other details of Edward.

Good luck in your searches.

Tracker2

Sturgis, Snelgrove, Millard, Lippiatt, Chivers, Kay, Cassidy, Cooke, Flack, Bebbington, Shetler

Offline Alice C.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 March 14 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gavvyn,

I am doing research on behalf of a grandson of Margaret Ann Cooke, nee Cassidy. His father, William Cooke, immigrated to Canada in the early 1900's. Have a fair amount of family information from the various branches - Cooke, Cassidy, Sanderson and Gregory.

FamilySearch has a marriage record for Margaret's parents, James Cassidy and Rose Ann McCulloch/McCullough/McCully on 4 September 1851 in Ballymachugh, Cavan, Ireland.

Just new to RootsChat…looks like an excellent site to exchange information and obtain research guidance.

Best regards,
Alice

Offline Tracker2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 March 14 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alice.

Welcome to the forum.

A long time has passed since I started this thread.  I now have quite a lot of information on the Cooke family both in Canada and the UK.  I was quite surprised to hear you are researching for a grandchild of Margaret as there cannot be many left in that generation. My mother is 94 and is also a grandchild of Margaret and Fred. Let me know if you need any help down any particular route and I will see what I can provide.

Tracker2

Offline Alice C.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tracker 2,

Thank you for your reply. I am new to forums; learning as I go.
There are more Cookes in Canada…all descendants of William Cooke, 1896-1983. William wed Mary Louise Sanderson, 1911-1999, in 1933…hence the younger cousins of your grandmother.
I do not have access to my notes right now…which Cooke sibling was your great grandparent?
Have found burial records in Philips Park Cemetery, Manchester, UK for Margaret Ann Cooke and her parents, James and Rose Ann Cassidy and some siblings; her husband Fred was buried in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Also found a marriage record for James Cassidy and Rose Ann McCully, wed 4 September 1851, Ballymachugh, Cavan, Ireland on FamilySearch.

With aloha,
Alice

Offline Tracker2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alice.

Fred and Margaret Ann were my great grandparents.  The children of Fred and Margaret were William, Fred, Herbert, Brenda, James and Alicia.  Alicia (1894-1994) was my grandmother. 

I am still puzzled who you are researching for. Could this be Ronald Frederick Cooke?

As far as the Irish connection is concerned I agree with your first post about James Cassidy and Rose Ann but I doubt we would be able to find earlier records in Cavan.  My mother vaguely recalls the maiden name of her great grandmother. She thinks it was pronounced like  “Maccuely” as in “queue”.  Records from that era could have shown any spelling that sounded similar (e.g. McCuley)

I have explored the Cooke history back to 1753 with some uncertainty, but it looks like their roots were south of Manchester, in the Whaley Bridge, Taxal, Fernilee area and the name Ellis or Elias Cook seems to recur through several generations before Fred's father, James.

The Canadian descendents of Fred and Margaret are very well recorded by “Nos Racines”.  If you have not visited their web site you will find it has a section for Spiritwood and Norbury.  Let me know if you need more details. I can give you the hypertext links in a personal mail via RootsChat and, in any case, I guess we need to migrate from these Cavan pages as we are moving off topic a little.

Once you have sent your third forum message you will be able to send and receive personal/private mail.

Tracker2