Author Topic: Flinn/Flynn and Fitzsimmons/Fitzsimon but Which Parish?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Flinn/Flynn and Fitzsimmons/Fitzsimon but Which Parish?
« on: Thursday 17 October 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello folks - don't usually venture to this board but here goes....

1855 Scottish marriage records are wonderful in that they give the birthplace of the person marrying, but not so great if you can't read it!

A sibling in one of my lines has Cavan for her County of birth, but the Parish isn't so clear.

Knowing her parents to have been Owen Flinn (son of a John Flinn and Mary Finley) and Catherine Fitzsimmons (daughter of a Charles Fitzsimmons and Mary McCall), I ran a basic parent search on rootsireland for all of Ireland. Now, it didn't come up with marriage of the parents or births for her or her siblings I already know of, but it did throw up a potential brother, Owen, in Killann/e Parish, County Cavan in 1832. Timescale fits well, as of course does Cavan.

I am not convinced, though, that the following from the Scottish marriage certificate is also Killann/e. Here is a map of the RC Parishes in Cavan:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wiq/

anyone with keen eyesight fancy making a suggestion as to this then, thanks?

ps
posting on this board rather than handwriting deciphering one, on off-chance that someday, someone also doing Flinn or Fitzsimmons research in County Cavan recognises the family names.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline FitzsimonsCavan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flinn/Flynn and Fitzsimmons/Fitzsimon but Which Parish?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Kilbride Co cavan, have you tried 1901/1911  national archives ireland you can browse by ded

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Flinn/Flynn and Fitzsimmons/Fitzsimon but Which Parish?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Correction to first post, birth year for Owen should read 1837, not 1832.

Thanks for input, Fitzs.....not quite seeing it as Kilbride either, but the writing/copy is pretty poor. I'll keep it in mind though. Can now almost see it as 'Killand', which could I suppose be how the Scottish writer heard the Irish speaker say 'Killann'.

1901/11 not likely to be too helpful as the family were in Scotland by 1850s. No sign of Flinn/Flynn or Fitzsimmons in Killann area at time of Griffiths http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/cavan/bailieborough.php .
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .