Author Topic: Photo help,Cruden Bay web site  (Read 12276 times)

Offline Seonaid C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo help,Cruden Bay web site
« on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Looking for help with a website photo that I've got, it looks like a photo of  my greatgrandfather. The website is www.crudenbay.org.uk .The photo is in the gallery under olden days. I would love to know who  has the photo,is there any information about it,names etc. I tried e mailing the webmaster but it got returned as mail failure so don't know where to go now.

I've added a photo of my great grandfather Andrew Duthie with two of his granchildren.He was bn 1842 d 1927 at 3 Green Street Cruden Bay and as you can see he looks similar to the man in the photo on the Cruden bay website.The other photo is from the website.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seonaid
Gordon,Kennedy,Robertson(Boyndie)Soutar,Craib,Stevenson,Forbes all Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Henderson,Smith,Anderson all Angus.
Ritchie,Reid,Duthie,Buchan,Milne,Smith,Mutch,Thom Cooper all Aberdeenshire/Banfshire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Photo help,Cruden Bay web site
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seonaid (lovely name by the way  :) )

Could this be another pic of the same man?

I can't immediately see any other way of contacting the webmaster but I will continue to dig!

Cheers
Prue

Offline Seonaid C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue, thank you for your prompt reply.I'm almost sure it's him but would like to know for sure.Any help much appreciated. By the way my lovely name was after the midwife who delivered me!I was number six in the family and mum was running out of ideas :)

Seonaid
Gordon,Kennedy,Robertson(Boyndie)Soutar,Craib,Stevenson,Forbes all Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Ritchie,Reid,Duthie,Buchan,Milne,Smith,Mutch,Thom Cooper all Aberdeenshire/Banfshire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 07 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seonaid,

Oh,, I see now...the pic I posted was the one you were interested in -  I was a bit dim and didn't realise the first picture you posted was one that you already had!  Sorry about that.

I tried emailing the webmaster too, but it bounced back  :-\  How about contacting the Buchan Observer newspaper that is mentioned on the Links page?  Here's the website:
http://www.buchanie.co.uk/

Worth a try, even if just to ask if they know how to contact the people responsible for the Cruden Bay website.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 March 07 13:58 GMT (UK) »
What great photos :),

I'd lay money on it being the same chap in both photos. I've emailed the webmaster, and so far it hasn't came back, so touch wood they will reply to you.
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Seonaid C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 March 07 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Prue and Grothenwell.I'm certain it is the same man.I got in touch with the Buchan Observer a couple of weeks back but have not heard anything yet,will maybe try phoning them this time instead of emailing.

Grothenwell,my email bounced to the webmaster,here's hoping your's does not.

Prue you were not dim------------ it was the way I worded the email that was dim!!! I've  hopefully put it better now!

Thank you once again,
                                   Seonaid

Offline strachers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 December 12 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Seonaid,

I came across this post and recognised the photo as Cruden Bay.

I think the photo is next to one of the old sheds that used to sit opposite the cottages on Harbour Street.

My grandparents (Rennie) lived in Harbour Street and the shed opposite their cottage was taken down a number of years back.

I have attached another photo of relatives (Nicolsons, Robertsons & Massons) that was taken next to the shed that was taken down....it must have been taken in same street and around the same time. 

I'd be interested in knowing if you have managed to find out more about the photo.

Regards,

Alan.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 December 12 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Try :-

http://www.crudenbay.net/index.htm

Regards

Malky

Also, your original web site links to the Crudenbay folk club. They have a facebook page.

I never noticed that this is a 2007 post.

Offline davy.campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
Seonaid hello, just came across this site by accident. Bit hard to work all the different things, and i am not to great with computers to start with. Anyway typed in Cruden Bay as i have really good memories about the village. The photos are really great, and the comments are very interesting. The photo of your grandather reminded me of a old man who was very well know in the village, his was called Willum ( William?) Tait, he lived in Harbour street, opposite the Ladies bridge. I Think he died about 1960. Anyway at that time there was a chap by the name John Duthie who lived in the village as well, i think he was some  relation to old Willum. Duthie seems to be a common name in that part of the country. The picture of the group of people sitting outside with the creels was taking i think down at the salmon bothy at the harbour. I was up in Cruden Bay about a month ago and the bothy has sadly been demolished and 2 beautiful houses are in its place. What a great view the owners must have. The  previous owners of the Salmon Bothy was a family called Bruce, who have had it for generations. Bertie Bruce is the salt of the eath or sea would even be better. Perhaps he may be able to help you in your search, i dont think anyone knows more about fish or life in Cruden Bay than him. Dont have an address but if perhaps you asked Cruden Bay post office, they would be glad i think to help you. Bertie is a living legend!...Good luck..