Author Topic: Glendinning Basket Maker  (Read 11429 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Glendinning Basket Maker
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 February 11 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi RBcabal, Imber and dottie43,

Thanks for your input.  And particularly for that link RBcabal - lots of very interesting stuff about Moray, and have found Ebenezer Hay McMillan.

Ebenezer Hay McMillan's parents were John McMillan and Jane Kellie (or Kelbie?) and Jessie Glendinning's mother was Gemima Ann Kelbie? - were the two mothers related?

Just from "word of mouth" knowledge - Ebenezer and Jessie's children were named - Joan, Margaret, Aggie, Lizzie, Frank, Ebenezer, Jeanie?, Rachel, Willie, James, Harriet and possibly 3 others unknown.   We do have a couple of photos - one of Ebenezer and Jessie in older years, another of Ebenezer basket making, and another of him with two young ladies thought to have been his daughters who "died young"? 

Really must start to sort out this family tree - only been at it about 3 weeks, but already got lots to chase up. 

Cheers and thanks everyone!

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 February 11 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Jane and Jemima Ann Kelbie were sisters - Jane was born c.1829 in Falkland, Fife, and Jemina Ann c. 1841 in Aberdeen. I have yet to find the OPRs for them - not only did the family tend to tell porkies, but there is a considerable number of variants to the surname KELBIE.

I will contact you in IM with the details I have on Ebenezer and Jessies family.

Bill
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again RBcabal,
Thanks again, - good information - and to think that originally I was reading Jane and Jemima's name as Kellie !!!  Showing my own West coast/Scottish/"Irish" background? Lol... I was unaware of how common the name Kelbie was. 

Thanks for the list sent - huge help... lots of work to do!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline shona8989

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 April 12 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am Shona Stewart nee MacMillan the grandaughter of Frank McMillan son of Ebenezer Hay McMillan and Jessie Glendinning. I have just strated on the trail and so far have traced Jessie's father, mother and grandparents but after that I am stuck. I would very much appreciate it if you have any information or photos you would like to share.

I live in the NE of Scotland not far from where Frank was born, in a tent!

kindest regards

Shona

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 April 12 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi shona,
I am a rellie of your jessies sister georgina, and like you i have only got back to grandparents john glendinning and catherine stewart and can get no further back.
I have a few certifacates i could send and some news clippings if you want?
If you follow the link from earlier post you will get a lot of you family. Dottie

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 April 12 04:03 BST (UK) »
I read somewhere that 'basket makers' and the like were Gypsies - I have CLENDINNING from Ireland who, I'm told were originally GLENDINNINGs from Scotland - and possibly Gypsies - Of course, I've not found any proof of either on my lot -
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 April 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Our glendinnings were travellers, where in ireland are yours from? mine are from county down. Dottie.

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 05:44 BST (UK) »
Our glendinnings were travellers, where in ireland are yours from? mine are from county down. Dottie.

My lot were in Northern Ireland - Donegal and Fermanagh -  I don't have much on them in Ireland other than where they lived in Ireland, and their immigration to Australia - George CLENDINNING born circa 1806 in Templecarn Pettigo Donegal, his wife Sarah O'DONNELL born circa 1815 also in Templecarn - together with their 8 children came to Australia in 1854 aboard the SABRINA - According to George's death cert  in 1876 Muswellbrook NSW his parents were William CLENDINNING and Fanny SMITH, I don't have anything else on William and Fanny,  that's all I have on George and Sarah in Ireland, don't even have marriage details for them - Their eldest child was born 1835 in Donegal - (My Aunt [who died in 2001] did the early research and told me she thought William originally came from Scotland as a GLENDINNING, but I don't know why she thought that and I don't have any of her paperwork or research pertaining to them)

Char
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline shona8989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 April 12 16:52 BST (UK) »
Dottie

thanks so much for your reply, I would love anything you may have on the family. I am outside Inverurie and not far from many of their old haunts. Reading the summer walkers which is very interesting although so far no mention of the McMillan other than they were another travelling family from the highlands.

Shona