Author Topic: Marriage Certs from SP or GRO  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Certs from SP or GRO
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I accept what you are saying Forfarian but how would the person who indexed this for SP know the missing name?

They would if they were working from the index in the book rather than from individual certificates, and the index in the book contained the full name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:29 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Forfarian,
I understand now and that makes sense.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Which would then mean that if someone made a mistake(s) while hand indexing the names from the Register then there could be other events missed on SP as it is just yet another step where an omission can be made :(
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I have enquired further about this, having come across two of my own where there were only initials on the certificate, but full names in the index, and I was able to compare the index in the back of one of the books, and to verify that it does have the full name, and to verify that the main index was compiled from the indexes in the individual books.

Now comes the interesting bit. Before the certificate was issued and recorded, the couple had to complete a document called a marriage schedule, which asked for full names, and was retained by the Registrar. So when he was making his end-of-year index, he was able to refer back to these documents and extract the full names from them if necessary.

So there's the answer.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.