Author Topic: MCCARROLL'S AND MCGHEE'S OF HAMILTON LANARKSHIRE  (Read 1381 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
MCCARROLL'S AND MCGHEE'S OF HAMILTON LANARKSHIRE
« on: Tuesday 18 November 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I'm looking for some fresh help if possible.

I'm really struggling to get much information on my dads fathers side of the family.

My dads grandparents were James McCarroll (1865-1938)  and Catherine Nelson (1876 - 1949). Both were from Stevenson in Ayrshire. They eventually moved to Hamilton, Lanarkshire and started a family

I have the children listed here

Catherine McCarroll (1897 - 1981) - Married a Hugh McGhee - I'm trying to locate their children.

Margaret McCarroll (1902 - 1948) married a Richard Brown - I'm again trying to get any evidence of the wedding and any children.

Mary McCarroll (B1903 - ?) I have nothing on her

Bernard McCarroll (1906 - ?) Married a Grace Duffy - I have no other information

James McCarroll (1908 - 1990) I DO NOT need any information on him as he was my grandfather

Elizabeth McCarroll (1911 - 1960) I know nothing about her

Willaim Mccarroll (1914 - 1991) Married Mary Stewart and had one son D Mccarroll

Can anyone please help me?

Paul

McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: MCCARROLL'S AND MCGHEE'S OF HAMILTON LANARKSHIRE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is the type of info you will only find using Scotlands People  www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  which is a pay per view site

Unfortunately - there is no parent search facility and whilst there may not be a lot of McGhee's - there will certainly be a very large number of Browns ???

The marriage of Margaret & Richard probably didn't take place until 1920 or later and the same with any marriages for the other children born in the early 1900's so if they married before 1938, the images can be downloaded
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
The free SP index shows only one marriage between a Bernard McCarroll & Grace Duffy and it was between 1935-1940
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol

How do you access the free index?

P
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
If you register for free on SP, you can do some general searches and then just see if anything shows at all on the search results. You can't view them, you just see if anything shows up.

Paul, are you based in Lanarkshire? You are trying to do descendant research for a period that is not available online due to data protection etc. You can do more update research on BMDs at one of the main genealogy centres. For the details you are looking for, from what you detail, this is what you need and are looking for...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Bent Cemetery, Hamilton, Burial Records 1853-1949

McCarroll, James, age, 63, date of burial 26 October 1938, 65 Hillside Crescent, Hamilton
McCarroll, Catherine, age 72, date of burial 4 January 1949, 65 Hillside Crescent, Hamilton

Are these your earlier McCarrolls?

McCarroll, Bernard, no age cited, date of burial 12 December 1894, 40 Albert Buildings, Hamilton
McCarroll, James, age 55, date of burial 5 October 1894, 40 Albert Buildings, Hamilton

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Paul, you need to take yourself to the Registrar's section in the Family History department in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. You will need to pay 315 for a day's access to the statutory registers of births, deaths and marriages, but once you have done that you should be able to access all the information you are looking for, assuming that the people involved all stayed in Scotland. You will need to book - check with the library before you go.

See http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/PlanYourVisit/Pages/Visitor-Information.aspx
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.