Author Topic: Kilmun Burials - Help  (Read 30686 times)

Offline Surfbeach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmun Burials - Help
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 March 12 06:28 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the graves of my great grandmother - KERR, Charlotte Campbell nee Grandison  (death registered in Dunoon on 7th November, 1932 and my great Aunt - KERR, Anne Victoria Colquhoun (death registered in Dunoon on 16th July, 1982)

My great Aunt (and her 2 sisters Elanor and Charlotte - all retired school teachers) lived in a house called "Ferngrove" in KILMUN for their retirement, and as their deaths were registered in Dunoon, I have to believe they are buried in Kilmun or close to it.

I am leaving Australia in 2 weeks to travel to Kilmun to see if I can find their gravesites - to date I have tried the Argyll Bute Council, they don't have cemetery records, and my system is having problems downloading anything from ScotlandsPeople.  Has anyone any advice on how I can find out for me - really would be appreciated.

Surfbeach

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 March 12 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Surfbeach

I haven't been in rootschat much lately but seen you post today just last week I was talking to someone who has recorded the graves in the old section and is going to be starting on the new section of Kilmun Cemetery,
So should be able to get some help there for you, Will send you a PM

Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Surfbeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 19 March 12 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

We will be in Kilmun early June, if my family (Kerr) are not there I will have to look at the other cemeteries in the Dunoon area too.  My Great Grandfather was a Minister in the Church of Scotland in Shapinsay, in the Orkneys, after he died in 1908, I believe the Church of Scotland  Society of Sons and Daughters of the Clergy then aided my Great Grandmother with the education of their children.  My 3 great aunts who retired in Kilmun were all school teachers - spending many years in Canada - they lived in a house called "Ferngrove" in Kilmun, I visited the still living Great Aunt there in the late 1970's.  We went for lunch at the Ardentinny Hotel. Their brother - my grandfather was shipwrecked on the south Coast of Australia at end of 1908 on the "Falls of Halladale", he then stayed in Australia, and his 2 other brothers joined him out here.  My great grandmother and 3 great aunts deaths were all registered in Dunoon.  Unfortunately the Funeral Company in Dunoon (Bairds) who buried my last Great Aunt are no longer in business according to my on line search.  So the search goes on!!

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Surfbeach
I will be about around that time so I will help you out all I can,
I have emailed the information to someone I know who has recorded the graves in the old section, and is about to make a start on the new section, I often go to Kilmun to take photographs, so next time I am up I will take a look around the newer part of the Cemetery,

Bairds has been away for quite some time now, I don't know what would happen to any records they had, The building is still there on Hamilton Street,
the other cemeteries are Sandbank and in Dunoon near to where Bairds was,
I am wondering if Invereck may be able to shed any light on where the last of your Great Aunts is Buried, as it is owned by the Church of Scotland just a thought

Sybil 
ORKNEY
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Surfbeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sybil,

Yes, My great Aunt (Anne Victoria Colquhoun KERR - she was called Aunt Queenie) died at Invereck in Sandbank on July 16th 1982, I have tried to find an email address so I could email Invereck, but no such luck so far.  Thanks for your offer of help here - it is really appreciated.

Cheers

Liz

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
If you click on the link that is under the address details, enquire about Invereck house it will bring up a page to fill in with your details and message
http://www.crossreach.org.uk/node/279

Let me know how you get on

Sybil
ORKNEY

Offline Surfbeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Sybil, Thank you,  I have just sent both Crossreach and I believe the Invereck home an email with the reqest, so here is hoping they have the name of the cemetery my Great Aunt is in, and then I am hoping my Great Grandmother is there as well.

Will definitely let you know how I get on with these requests.

Cheers

Liz

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Liz Crossreach is part of Church of Scotland, it's what their care homes come under and Invereck is owned and ran by them, fingers crossed they come back with something, or maybe they can point you in the direction of where records are held

Sybil
ORKNEY

Offline tomk23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 31 March 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
Re M1 for Kilmun cemetry , i am lookin for the name Kirkaldie , i visited Dunoon cem and was very disappointed to see a lot of the stones had been toppled, have they been reinstated ?
 regards tom