Author Topic: Location of Fionnphort Home?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Location of Fionnphort Home?
« on: Sunday 13 April 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
 Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a particular house still existed in Fionnphort on the Isle of Mull?  The occupation of the head of house according to the 1911 census was a Ferryman for the Mail and Service Ferry.  The following information I have copied from the Mull Genealogy site:
Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon - Iona District No : 9   Page No : 1   House No : 3   Locality : Fionnphort 191110400

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you

Borderslass  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Fionnphort Home?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 April 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Borderlass

Why don't you email site directly www.mullgenealogy.co.uk/

Webmaster active and should hopefully be able to provide further info on property and/or family.

info[replace with 'at' symbol]mullgenealogy.co.uk.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craigspuir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Fionnphort Home?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 April 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Borderlass,

Without a specific address it would be difficult to say whether the house still stands. Next door the occupation is given as 'Shopkeeper - Grocer' so it could be one of the houses along the 'main' road to the ferry and could possibly be 'The Ferry Stores' but, and here is a big but, the Shopkeeper might not have been living at the shop.

Even with a specific address it is difficult to be certain sure as postal number do change through time.

With next door being almost certainly a grocer and the ferryman brought up by the post mistress I think there is an evens chance that the location will be close to the current Ferry Shop which incorporates a Post Office.

Ian