Author Topic: Hall/Stewart help please.  (Read 11388 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hall/Stewart help please.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
hallmark, I need to confirm something...do you know for a fact that all these people were born in Ireland?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, both were born in Ireland. 

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/presby58.htm shows the marriage and confirms mine were from Ireland.

The marriage was in St Mary's Presbyterian church on 15 Jan 1858.

to JJ, thank you.......There is another Thomas and Eliza Jane Hall that I have found records for but they were from Co. Cavan and had a grocery business. I have found records for them but they are not mine. These lived 14. 15th St, New Toronto. A George James Hall died there 2nd Dec 1934. This couple were in Ireland at least until 1875 so it is not my couple!

The only other possibility at moment is a death record for a Thomas Hall, King Street, Oshawa, Ontario 6 June 1902 (Cert 019132).

To polarbear; thank you......Unfortunately all I have is the marriage so hoping to find any births which would give me a "family unit" to look up in various census etc.

If you see something on Ancestry matching these details, they are mine as I put them there but no hints so far there.

The marriage was on line but not births so I suppose the logical thing to do is write to the church to see if they have any birth records for this couple.

Eliza Jane Stewart's brother William James Stewart also married in this church 7 June 1860.

Thanks everyone for replies and advice.

Regards

Dave Hall.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 04:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 in Oshawa, Ontario there is Thomas Hall(24) b. Ire. with wife Alisa (22) b. Upper Canada and son John(1).  By 1871 they added daughter Mary and son John is shown as John F.  There is a marriage in 1889 for John Franklin Hall, b. 1860 Oshawa s/o Thomas Hall and Eliza Phillips.  Eliza Phillips and Thomas Hall s/o John and Sarah Hall married in 1859.  I don't think the death in Oshawa is your Thomas Hall.

There is a Thomas and Elizabeth Hall in Downie, Perth but marriages of two of their children show her maiden name to be Marshall.

Nothing positive only exclusions.

Debbie

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Thank you. Doesn't look like that is them. At least eliminating them is a help.

I might have a try at looking for Stewarts as it seems the family may have moved there, with her brother marrying there too. Sometimes have had better luck chasing the in law side of the family on census etc. I have the few names for Stewarts, might turn up Halls with them.

I know that Thomas' parents did not emigrate. I'm very fortunate that the marriage is on line..(picked up by Googling various alternative spellings), otherwise they could be anywhere.

The 2 Stewart marriages cover two and a half year span,  Jan 1858 to June 1860, so was there a census between these dates?

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Your original query stated that all immigrated...I am thinking they may have moved out of Ontario unless you have proof otherwise...Plus the reason I asked was because you put "Irish" after their names which made it seem as though you weren't sure yourself...
...No sign of any of them by 1881 except her brother...William James Stewart , wife Phoebe & family

Have you eliminated the Thomas & Eliza in "Howick, Huron North, Ont " from the 1881 census?

The available censuses as you can see were every decade between 1851 to 1911
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi J J

All I have is the marriage as shown on http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/presby58.htm which shows the marriage and confirms mine were from Ireland.

I eliminated the Thomas & Eliza in "Howick, Huron North, Ont " from the 1881 census as John Franklin Hall, b. 1860 Oshawa was s/o Thomas Hall and Eliza Phillips.

I have Thomas Hall's birth records which is for Tonycoogan, Co Monaghan..(on the link above it shows him born Toneycoogan..

I might have to go to Lisnaveen and get the Stewart records and try and see if I can track them instead to see if there is any pattern to family marriages. On the link above it shows her born Lisnalveen. I have a pile of other people to look up in Lisnaveen anyway. Hall/Martin marriages.

I put (Irish) beside their name because they were Irish! Thomas was Irish, Elizabeth was Irish....so as to avoid confusing similar records for these names marrying, where one or both may have been Canadian.. it was a definite statement. They were both Irish.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 19:26 GMT (UK) »
John Franklin Hall was actually the son of the Thomas Hall in Oshawa.  However the Hall in Howick Huron is not yours either.  I'm trying to figure out my notes!  The births for the children are not registered under Thomas but John Hall and Eliza Greenaway.  John S. Hall, Mary Ann Hall and Joseph (early and late birth registrations) all show Eliza Greenaway.
In 1891 Goderick, Huron West there was another possibility but children are attributed to Thomas Hall and Eliza Armstrong.

I don't think they remained in Canada.  I can't pull them up on census (they could be there under a weird transcription) but I also can't find them looking for children's births, deaths or marriages.

I thought that the 1881 census in Oro, Simcoe North for James Stewart and Phoebe was Eliza's brother using his middle name.  Again they're eliminated.  You can follow them in census.  1891 they're in the same location, 1901 James has died and "Pheby" runs a boarding house in Barrie, Simcoe North with 3 of her children with her.

The death of Harriet Maria and the marriage of Elizabeth Amelia and Annie Mary all show parents of James Stewart and Phoebe Cannon.  Harriet's death shows James originating in Scotland.

Debbie

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Thanks very much! I can find out about the "others" that I came across but not mine.... I was fortunate enough to get the marriage record on line otherwise I wouldn't even know they emigrated in the first place. They may not even have had children, they may have gone to USA...

I'll have to try and get birth records checked in the church.

The Oshawa ones were the grocers from Cavan.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Try having a look on the Irish Resources Board.  I know ther is a site which details ships leaving from wherever bound for wherever with a list of passengers
marcie.  Sorry that I cannot be more helpful, but I am still learning.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet