Author Topic: Picconi family  (Read 6959 times)

Offline Mazzerarty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Picconi family
« on: Thursday 26 December 13 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello from Australia! I'm searching for any information on a man (and his family in Canada) named Ricardo Picconi. He and my Great-grandmother, (Mary) Elizabeth Foster, met in London. They had 2 daughters, Ada Gertrude Picconi and Elsie Lucia Picconi, in 1890 and 1892 respectively. I cannot find any record of Ricardo on the UK census, only his name on the girls' birth and baptism records, and his occupation is a "waiter in a restaurant." No record of a marriage, either.
Ricardo disappears and Elizabeth married my great-grandfather, David John James on 23rd Feb, 1896. I have found a record of a Ricardo Picconi on a Passenger List from Havre to New York, leaving on 26th Feb the same year. This man was 32, single and said he came from Italy. I would have discounted this except that a relative has now told me his mother remembers the Italian side of the family coming to visit her mother (Elizabeth Foster's sister) from Canada!
Talk about a spanner in the works!
So if anyone has any information on the elusive Picconi family in Canada, it would be most appreciated.
Regards, Marilyn

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Picconi family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 December 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marilyn

& welcome to Rootschat.

You say you have details of birth & Baptisms for Ricardo's daughters, could you post details please, areas where their births were reg. etc. it may help somebody to help you.

I'm asking this for 2 reasons,

I wondered if you may have considered that Ricardo was recorded in UK records with a slightly different spelling of his surname. With a daughter born 1890 & another born 1892, he ought to be somewhere on the 1891  UK census

And also, if you answer my question , even if the answer is no- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/Smileys/christmas/cool.gif

you will have 3 postings on the boards, the minimum requirement for any other Rootschatter to be able to contact you via the Private Message system if they need to.

Regards
lemur41

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 December 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
The only record I could find was on the Passenger list his wife is in the 1891 census with her mother and her two daughters no husband she also has a son William Foster ...On her second marriage she says she is a spinster ..Tree has death for Ada Gertrude  Picconi 1892 ..No signs of Ricardo did he have a middle name ?? as maybe he was using that ..Could not see a marriage for this couple only he was listed as father on the baptism record

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 December 13 16:28 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting rosie 17, I hadn't looked for the family in 1891, just Riccardo. But I notice that Elizabeth and Ada are transcribed as surname "Dicconi.

I've looked at the original and I think the first letter is a "D". Probably pronunciation heard as D and not P.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 December 13 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes forgot to mention that transcription error

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 December 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »
No problem, it's one of the reasons why I think he is somewhere with his name mistranscribed.

Did he embark at Le Havre en route to New York, or did the ship call in a British port is another thing I'm trying to work out. (  Just wondered if he might have been working in France )

And what happened to the child William. I've had a quick search for a possible death up to 1895, so far haven't found him.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 December 13 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Riccardo Picconi (as transcribed)  - Aged 39 years. Nationality :- Italy  - Last residence :- Borgotaro
Departure Le Havre - New York 27 May 1902 on La Gascogne.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JFKG-ZZV

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 December 13 18:46 GMT (UK) »
So he could have travelled between Italy and New York more than once between 1896-1902.  even

We need Marilyn to come back and give us her thoughts.

I'm just adding one last thought of my own for now, Marilyn has quoted that a relative remembers   Piccone family visitors from Canada visiting Elizabeth's sister.

Could William Foster have become a Home Child sent out to Canada. I have tried to search for him on the Homechild pages, and so far haven't found him. But could he or his descendants have been the visitors.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 December 13 19:09 GMT (UK) »
William Foster was born 1888 in St Lukes  workhouse there was another family to David John Jones and to Thomas Hawkins ....but that does not get us closer to Ricardo Picconi