Author Topic: George Willan  (Read 14314 times)

Offline Gibby1968

• My email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Willan
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 March 14 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Sligen;

As I explained in my post George married three times and had all these children.  I am trying to find out if they divided across the three marriages or just the first two.  I realise there is some duplication; this is due to the information I got from familysearch.

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 March 14 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any death certificates for any of the wives.  All I know is that the first marriage was in 1825, the second in 1829 and the third in 1832 so I am assuming that each wife died as I doubt divorce would have been an option then.

I cannot get death certificates as all this takes place before 1837 registration.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 March 14 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who his third wife was?
Have you got the couple in any census?

Heather

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 March 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any death certificates for any of the wives.  All I know is that the first marriage was in 1825, the second in 1829 and the third in 1832 so I am assuming that each wife died as I doubt divorce would have been an option then.

I cannot get death certificates as all this takes place before 1837 registration.
You can use parish registers to prove marriage and deaths.  How do you know it is the same man?   Have you looked at the entries on the parish register?   Do they show him as a widower?   You have him marrying Agnes in 1829 which is fine but he is still with her in 1841 so that means he did not marry again in 1832.   This was pointed out in an earlier post too as the baptisms of their children continue under those names.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 March 14 18:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census has George (Ag Lab) and Agnes of Tunstall who are presumably the couple who married in 1829 that you claim are the parents of your Ann.  However, she married William Huddlestone in 1853.  Their daughter Ann is unmarried and still with them in 1861 as are younger children William, Rodger and Ellen.   There seems to be some serious sorting out to do here as you say.   If you are sure of the Willan/Huddlestone marriage then getting that certificate is essential to know who her father was.
There really are too many George Willans in that area of the country for comfort!

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 March 14 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I need to look at all of this and then I might be able to make sense of it all.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 March 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Ok.  Some proven facts now.    The George Willan who married Elizabeth Hartley in 1825 is still with her in 1841 so therefore he cannot be the one who married Agnes in 1829.
1841 HO107 1163 3/58 p 18 in Kendal
George Willan 46
Betty Willan  47
Mary Hartley 27
Jno Willan 12
Ann    "   9   
George   "  6
Thomas  "  2
Betty Allison 70

Note the Mary Hartley who helps to prove that connection.

The Ann who marries William Huddlestone is constant in census as being born c1830 in Kendal which would fit with Ann, daughter of George and Elizabeth "Betty" Hartley.
In 1871 Ann and William have a child name David Hartley Huddlestone.   That is a good clue too.

RG10 5282 16 1 Meal Bank Kendal
William Huddlestone 39 Fuller b Keswick
Ann             "          40         b Kendal
John          "        16
Hannah       "       12
Margaret     "        10
Mary Elizabeth   "    8
David Hartley Huddlestone 5
Ann                    "      3
Frances               "       1 
all children born Kendal and most working in the woollen/worsted mills from the look of it.

Gibby1968 - if you can confirm that this is your Huddlestone family then you have proof of Ann's parentage I think.    The second marriage is a complete red herring and is for a different George.

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 March 14 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that the Huddlestone family you listed is mine.

I have no problem with this side, I was trying to make sense of George's family which I think I have now done.

George married Agnes and the children were Elizabeth, John, Duckett, Ann (my direct line), Henry, Jane, George, John, Joseph, Thomas, Richard, William, Agnes and Roger who were all born between c1826 and c1849.  This makes a total of 14 children.

Poor Agnes :'(

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 March 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear.   You have not read my posts properly.   Your Ann is not the daughter of George and Agnes.   That Ann is unmarried and still with her parents after the date of the marriage to William Huddlestone.    Do look at the information I have given you.   I am not sure what more I can do to convince you.