Author Topic: Lighthouse Keepers of Wexford  (Read 29856 times)

Offline kevcrq

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouse Keepers of Wexford
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 13:55 BST (UK) »
... does anyone know of the connection with Mark Delaney from Fishguard in Wales, the football player?  Apparently he is related in some way too, I understand his grandad would have been Kevins and my grandads first cousin?

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Delaneys of Wexford Town
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevcrq
I just noticed you're online. Well I seem to have uncovered another Delaney in Wexford - how great
I'm still trying to absorb all this information and I don't think its all sunk in yet. But I will send you a PM to discuss details
Thanks Canberragirl
carroll (south co.dublin)carroll,doyle,byrne(wicklow,arklow, avoca) coates, delaney, wade (wexford town)
callaghan, meehan (navan, co. meath)
Wilson (Cambridgeshire) Rogers, (poss London) Celey or Sealy, Vickery (North Curry, Somerset)

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
cev. The Delaney from Fishguard may be descended  from Dick Delaney of Parnell St. who was bosun on the Fishguard /Rosslare boats  and married and lived in Fishguard. If it is the same family,( I am almost certain that they are the only family of that name in Fishguard)
 he would be either a grandson or greatgrandson.

Offline agentamanti

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 September 11 02:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for George Brownell, b about 1809 and Married Maria. he was a lighthouse keeper at Stackallen I think and so were many of his relatives. need much help
Pamela
Australia

Offline ConJPower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Conas atá tú ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 September 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all you Rootschatters for the help on lighthouses and lightships in Ireland.  It turns out that the Commissioners of Irish Lights was the place to go afterall. I emailed them and within 24 hours they came back with the service record of both my Thomas Delaney relatives  (father and son) nothing on the grandfather Richard as his records would be much earlier in 1840-50. However they don't have any family info on their lightshipmen e.g whether married, or what their addresses might have been, only County of origin. Still, I'm thrilled, Thanks heaps. Now it makes sense why all the men folk were not at home on Census night 1911.
Regards Canberragirl

If you ever make it to Hook Head, there is a picture in the hallyway of the coffee shop detailing all the lightkeepers that ever served there, their titles and years of service ...
Power, Furlong, Breen, Wyse, Roche, Prendergast, Murphy {Wexford}.
Fagan, Warde, Kearney {Kildare/Dublin}.
Rickard, Hoy, Sheridan {Dublin}.
Sullivan, Lee, Cronin, Blows {London}

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 November 11 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help on lighthouses and lightships in Ireland.  It turns out that the Commissioners of Irish Lights was the place to go afterall. I emailed them and within 24 hours they came back with the service record of both my Thomas Delaney relatives  (father and son) nothing on the grandfather Richard as his records would be much earlier in 1840-50. However they don't have any family info on their lightshipmen e.g whether married, or what their addresses might have been, only County of origin.
Canberragirl

There is a wealth of information on all things nautical in two books recently launched in Wexford. Written by John Power and in two weighty volumes it provides a chronological history of events around the Wexford coast from 1859 – 1960. It provides details of wrecks, lighthouse keepers, lightship men, lifeboat men, custom officers and ordinary sailors and fishermen from the locality.

See: 

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/lifestyle/maritime-book-is-launched-2936988.html

On page 73 of volume 2 the following appears:

William Delaney:

The death occurred on 24th February 1913 of William Delaney, aged 48 years, a member of the Irish lights. He was serving on board the South Rock lightship off the Down coast up to the time of his death. William was the eldest son of the late Richard Delaney, Parnell Street, Wexford. Flags were flown at half mast on ships in Wexford Harbour on receiving the news of his death.

Here’s William’s 1901 census record providing his home address:  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ards_Upper/New_Row/1232258/

In 1911 he was on his lightship

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Quintin/Lightship/241860/

Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline everphil

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 May 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for George Brownell, b about 1809 and Married Maria. he was a lighthouse keeper at Stackallen I think and so were many of his relatives. need much help
Pamela
Australia
There is some information that may help you on website www.slanetimes.com - heading headstone inscriptions - stackallen. It lists the memorials to a few Brownell's including a George.
I am looking for a John Brownell born c1815 who was also a lightkeeper married to a Maria born 1818. who's daughter Louisa moved and married Liverpool 1873.

Good luck

Offline Meryan46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 29 July 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
Searching for years for Lighthouse Keeper records for William MURPHY believed to be in Co Wexford as his son John Murphy was born there in 1851. It may be that William died c 1857 as aged 6 John was sent to live with relatives in Newtownards Co Down.
Any ideas where to find such records. Have tried the usual places

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 01:35 BST (UK) »
http://www.cil.ie/sh610x3938.html

The Commissioner of Irish Lights will have information on Lighthouse and Lightships in Ireland.

Canberragirl
carroll (south co.dublin)carroll,doyle,byrne(wicklow,arklow, avoca) coates, delaney, wade (wexford town)
callaghan, meehan (navan, co. meath)
Wilson (Cambridgeshire) Rogers, (poss London) Celey or Sealy, Vickery (North Curry, Somerset)