Author Topic: John Meredith  (Read 14192 times)

Offline hedghill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Meredith
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roy,

Will keep you posted if I find anything more on John Meredith.

Cheers

Hugh

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 08 May 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi not certain if you have/need this, but this looks like William Bibbs in 1841:-

John Bibbs 30
Ann 25
Wm 5
John 4
James 1
Residing at Homend Street, Ledbury
Census ref HO107/332/ 425/44 / 30

Keyboard86

I'm sure you must have this already but John Bibbs married Ann Meredith 27 march 1834 in ledbury
John and Priscilla Meredith christened a daughter Ann 25 oct 1812 in Worcestershire
from familsearch

mike

Offline hedghill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 08 May 14 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mike,

Will look into this.  Seems there is a chance the Meredith's could be my line.

Hugh

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 May 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Also in 1841 is a William Morris 60 occ Schoolmaster, possibly married or daughter an Ann 35 with young children in household Thomas Knight 10 Luke Knight 8 Wm Knight 5
Census ref HO107/1204/ 1/5 / 4
Keyboard86

Hello Keyboard
Just for your interest: With regards to William Morris, Schoolmaster above; My wife's paternal line is Morris searched back to her great great grandfather John Morris of Ledbury.  On a fact finding visit to Ledbury we took time out and looked at the small museum housed in the former school room.  Among the relics a piece of glass scratched with the name 'William Morris'.  John Morris had a son William aged 9 (1841) and we often wondered if the name scratched on this piece of glass was a relative of hers. 
Roy

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hedghill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 May 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy,

Was John and Hannah Meredith + James living in or working at a Blacksmiths in Rye Street on the 1841 census?

I spent some time up there some years ago (stayed at the Malvern hills hotel I think it was) and cycled around the area and I think I came across a very old place now a dwelling, in Rye street called The Old Smithy or the likes and I remember wondering if it was the place they were at in 1841 (I don't have the census record at the moment).

cheers

Hugh

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 May 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hugh
Yes, John, Hannah and infant James were at Rye Street in 1841.  I've walked around the Homend a number of times wondering if my wife's ancestors lived in one of the old buildings.  Ledbury is a delightful place full of interesting old black and white buildings; I admire how the old buildings have been retained in one form or another, if not still a residential home, utilising them as museums, or restaurants, shops, pubs etc.  I get so angry when old buildings with history get knocked down and replaced with 'red brick' boxes with no character-as often the case in many places in Wales.   
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk