Author Topic: Change of Terms at rootsireland.ie  (Read 15938 times)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
Re: Change of Terms at rootsireland.ie
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 April 12 02:07 BST (UK) »
I emailed RootsIreland with my dismay of the changes, and they replied after 8 days to say that "The new credit/searching system is in its first phase of development and testing". I blogged about it at http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/rootsireland-changes-more-to-come.html - note in the comments to the post that someone else also emailed them, and in response was told the same thing about it being a "first phase" and was then also asked "Do you wish us to close your account at this time?"!

Chris

Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 April 12 02:56 BST (UK) »
I also received the email about their 'changes'. To say I was confused is an understatement. I couldn't even be bothered re-reading it. Although it was dressed up to appear as though the changes would be of some benefit to joe public, it's plainly not. Never found anything of use on the site anyway, and now I don't suppose I ever will.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 April 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
Just sent them a e mail complaining about the changes, maybe if they get enough of them they will have another look at this silly new system.

Offline Thalliwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 12 01:18 BST (UK) »
Yes I also received the email claiming a great saving was to be had...
Then like everyone else I looked into it and realised that with some of my current hard searches it will cost me a fortune.
Not happy and will definitely think twice about returning.

So 10 free credits for new and existing users to get used to the new system....mmm three words come to mind...disposable email address.
Halliwell, Latham, Davenport, McVeigh, McNally
Wigan, Crewe, Dungannon

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 April 12 08:00 BST (UK) »
Unless they link the login to a credit card number similar to other paid sites!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 April 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
Why don't IrishRoots offer a 'Subscription' option as well as the much unloved current Pay-per-View (but based on the recently discarded 'free search' model instead). I have suggested this in the past but always seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

I would much rather use a subscription option rather than the 'open ended' PPV - in my case too easy to get sucked in and spend far more than intended - or is that the cunning plan?  :-\

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 April 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
I didn't mind the pay per view at all, I know a lot of people were complaining that they had to buy too many records to get one positive result, I can understand how annoying and expensive that would be, but I enjoyed doing lots of searches and making that make or break decision to buy or not. I was lucky by doing LOADS of searches I managed always except once to buy a revelant record. Of course I also spent hours searching and found nothing even worth considering.
I'm not keen on subscription sites, I'm always worried I'll pay up the money only to find the site has nothing to offer but even subscription would be better that this new system.

Offline Thalliwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 02:17 BST (UK) »
I Think That this page sums it up very nicely

http://britishgenes.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/rootsireland-makes-search-and-payment.html

If you can't be bothered reading it, it basically says that you are being ripped off for a now inferior product.
Halliwell, Latham, Davenport, McVeigh, McNally
Wigan, Crewe, Dungannon

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
I have just logged back on the site to have a look

If you search by county you can still search quite extensively without charges

On the home page click on the map
Then choose the county you are searching in
Search with name and year and when the results appear click on marriage or baptism etc as you require
Then use the advanced features to search again including parishes
You can exclude quite an amount of fluff by doing this before viewing a page
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder