Author Topic: Hamilton's of Comber  (Read 6096 times)

Offline americangirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamilton's of Comber
« on: Monday 01 February 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
My 2x great grandmother, Sarah Hamilton was born about 1843 in Comber.
In 1868 she married Alexander Thompson at 1st Comber Presbyterian Church.  I do believe that she had the following siblings, Samuel, Elizabeth, William , and Mary also all married at 1st Comber Presbyterian.  Sarah's father was John Hamilton of Cherryvalley Comber.  I am trying to find out the name of Sarah's mother.  Thankyou in advance for any assistance provided.

Kitty :)
fisher's of comber

Offline CAMION_FRERES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton's of Comber
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 February 10 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you go on the internet and type in      Emeraldancestors.com  The site is excellent. Once you find anything relating to your enquiry  you can pay £9.99 which then unlocks further info. This allows you access for 1 month.

Also try National Archives 1911 census on line.

Regards
George CF

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 February 10 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Hamilton was born well before registration of births started in Ireland (1864) so you'd need to search for church records of a baptism, however, if the Hamiltons were Presbyterian- many baptismal registers only list minimal details such as date of baptism, child's name and father's name so finding a baptismal record doesn't always mean you will find the mother's full name or even her Christian name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline americangirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
George and Aghadowey,
Thankyou for your response.  I have used emerald ancestors, and ancestry ireland, that is where alot of my information has come from, along with family information.  I'm just hoping somebody may recognize the name and I may get a lucky hit.  I guess I'll keep digging, this never gets old.
Thankyou
Kitty
fisher's of comber

Offline CAMION_FRERES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 February 10 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kitty

My name is George Armstrong (Camion Freres). I sent you a previous message. I live in Comber Co.Down. See attached which may solve your enquiry as it may contain the information you want.

Regards
George CF

Moderator's Note: screen shots of Emerald Ancestors pages removed due to terms and conditions of that site.

Offline john777s

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 14 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, further to your request for information regarding Sarah, wife of John Hamilton of Cherry Valley.My family tree on Ancestry gives details of John Hamilton and Sarah Murray of Cherry Valley.You can view it on the Sloan family tree. Hope this is of help to you.
Regards John.

Offline paulmatthewhamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 February 21 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you found out what you were looking for, but I'm a Hamilton of Cherryvalley

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 February 21 19:37 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Paul  :)

The OP (americangirl) was last active here in March 2014, but hopefully if her e-mail hasn't changed she will receive a notification of your post.

Being a Hamilton from Cherryvalley, here's your townland for others to see. It's on the eastern outskirts of the town of Comber.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/castlereagh-lower/comber-castlereagh-lower-portion/comber/cherryvalley/

Sarah's father was John Hamilton of Cherryvalley Comber.

This is probably his will abstract. An image of the copy of his will available on PRONI Will Calendars https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

The Will of John Hamilton late of Cherryvalley County Down Farmer who died 22 August 1887 at same place was proved at Belfast by Joseph Cairns and David Hamilton both of Cherryvalley Farmers two of the Executors.

His death 1887 at Cherryvalley.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06208/4776103.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 21 20:39 GMT (UK) »

……information regarding Sarah, wife of John Hamilton of Cherry Valley.

Death of Sarah Hamilton (John’s widow?) in 1893 at Ringcreevy townland. The informant was a grand-daughter Sarah Hamilton.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1893/06014/4712113.pdf

Ringcreevy just to the east of Cherryvalley
https://www.townlands.ie/down/comber/ringcreevy/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo