Author Topic: Kilkeel Adoption  (Read 5841 times)

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
Re: Kilkeel Adoption
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
Just to add to last post, the child's birth date on the document is 26/12 /13, and there was an Ella McCulla born on that date at Kilkeel....Del.
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
... another thought occured to me, what if Ella was actually Martha's child, by someone called McCulla......she then married Thomas....and he formally adopted Ella...would that make any sense ?.... I have to say that this is only speculation, on Thomas's army enlistment form I can only make out the letters ''CULLA'' for child's name.....it is a ''burnt'' document........Del.

Most unlikely. According to another topic of yours "Martha Bingham was born in 1879 at Kilkeel, Co.Down, Ireland, in 1909 she married Thomas Ayto, at Grantham."
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=657404
If Martha had been the mother the child would have been registered as Ayto since that was Martha's surname at the time.

Where is Ella McCulla in 1911? oops, Ella not born until 1913  :-[
Using FamilySearch I can find the following in England but not Ella-
Martha Ayto- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X7YC-KV8
Thomas Ayto- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X7YC-KVZ
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, Yes, of course, you are correct, so back to Ella being the child of someone else, as you said originally, I need her birth certificate to find out who her mother was.......Del.

Offline sambrookrj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 August 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ella was my step aunt, her mother Eliza Ann nee Bingham died shortly after Ella's birth from what was called in those days child birth fever. My mother was Matha Jeanetta (Jean) McCulla) the daughter of Johnny Robert's second wife Minnie Perry.

Ella used to stay with my mother in Kilkeel when I was a lad and I visisted Ella in Grantham in the early 70's at her house which if I remember was a railway cottage.
Of Ella's siblings only Jim (Thomas James) had a family all daugthers who are all still living.
With regards to official adoption I think it would be doubtful as it was common for relatives to take on children as happened in grandfather's case in Birmingham. The official register only started in Northern Ireland around 1930.
I am presently researching the McCulla's going back to about 1800 and have already done search on the Bingham's and Perry's.
If I can be of any help please let me know.

Richard

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 August 14 17:27 BST (UK) »
Richard, Thank you, Thomas, Martha and Ella lived at Barrowby Vale, there are 2 or 3 cottages down a narrow lane, right next to a railway level crossing, a lady in Australia sent me a photo of Martha and a female relative, taken in their back garden, right next to the railway embankment.......unfortunately I lost it when my computer crashed........I do have a couple of photos of Ella, if you like I could send them to you..............Regards Del.

Offline sambrookrj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 August 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Del, One thing I forgot is Ella's death was registered as McCulla so there would not have been an adoption.

I have a photograph of Eliza Ann amd Johnny Robert on what I believe was their wedding day. Also photos of Mary (Eliza's sister), plus a photo taken of the family on JR's wedding to my Gran with all the children except Ella and of course my mum.  Unfortunately not having used this board before I cannot PM you with my email address. Do you have a tree on Ancestry that I can contact you via?

All the best
Richard 

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 August 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
Richard, I do have a tree on Ancestry........tree name is Clarke and Ayto Family Tree....if you view it you will see a report of Martha's death in 1967......Regards Del.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 August 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
Eliza Ann McCulla's death is likely to be the one registerd in Kilkeel in first quarter of 1914, as Eliza Ann McCullough:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRVK-Q3Y
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 August 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
Scotmum, LTNS......Thanks for that, these different spellings can confuse things.....still looking for Samuel Clarke by the way.............Del.