Author Topic: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?completed  (Read 42341 times)

Offline frek

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?completed
« on: Friday 10 October 08 08:16 BST (UK) »
When people died while living at Seaton Sluice (I have certs) where should I look for places of interment please, and possible Mi's.?
Have any of the possible Churchyards, cemeteries been transcribed?
Dates: 1851, 1856 and 1875, 1894, 1905.

Surname: Broderick or Brotherick and similar.
Any help appreciated.
frek

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths at Seaton Sluice-burial place(s)?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 October 08 09:12 BST (UK) »
genuki, northumberland gives Seaton Sluice as Earsdon - worth a look at their pages for other info.

Cemeteries
Burial Registers 1860-1964, Purchased Grave Registers 1860-1902 and Burials Grant Books 1910-1957 for Blyth Civil Cemetery are available at Northumberland Collections Service.

also Pigots directory for seaton sluice 1828/9 section available here:

www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Earsdon

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline frek

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 October 08 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.
frek.

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
have you tried the familysearchlabs website it has parish records for Northumberland and Durham which you can search yourself.I know that some Seaton Delaval folk were buried in Seghill Holy Trinity churchyard,maybe Seaton Sluice folk were as well.You could also ask on the look up board for a death notice in the local paper to find out where they might be buried,although only the last two dates you mention might be available.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 08 20:09 BST (UK) »
frek,

I think Diddy and Steve have covered your options.

Within the "ancient" Parish of Earsdon ( Seaton Sluice-formerly Hartley Harbour, lay within Hartley, one of the eight "townships" that made up Earsdon Parish) there were several burial places.

From early times the church graveyard of the Parish Church of St Albans was the burial site for folk within the parish.

Then from about 1849 the church graveyard of the Holy Trinity of Seghill ( Seghill was another of Earsdon Parish's "townships") was available.

St Cuthberts of Blyth was a "chapel of ease", a satellite of the parish church at Earsdon. And it's small graveyard was used from 1859 to 1864.

Then Blyth Civil cemetery was established from about 1860. Known as Links Cemetery.

Both of the above two sites in Blyth (  the southern part of today's Blyth) lay in the "township" of Newsham, another of Earsdon parish's "townships".

Although within the bounds of Earsdon Parish, there were several churches of other religious denominations, I don't think any had their own graveyards. ( The RC graveyard of St Cuthberts, Cowpen lay within the parish area of Horton).

So I think your deaths in 1851 and 1856 are going to be in St Albans or Holy Trinity.  Ditto for the next three deaths, plus Blyth Links cemetery.

These burial records accessible in Northumberland County record Office (Woodhorn), Tyne & Wear Archives (Newcastle) and Newcastle City Library and other places (e.g. Blyth Library).

What were your folks names ?

Michael Dixon

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline frek

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 October 08 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help. Thats a fair few to check - I'm going to be busy!.
frek.

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 November 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »
I just came across this forum. My family lived in Seaton Sluice from the late 1700s to the mid 1900s. As others have suggested, I'd try St Albans Earsdon.  I can't see any mention of The Church of Our Lady, which is a tiny church that was originally the family church for Seaton Delaval Hall, just up the road from Seaton Sluice. My great grandparents and some other relatives are buried there.

I've got quite an extensive family tree, but I'm afraid Broderick/Brotherick isn't a name that rings any bells. My family name is Dickinson.
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline Rupali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 08:19 GMT (UK) »
 Ann, it looks as though we are researching the same families of BRODERICK/BROTHERICK from Seaton Sluice.  Am also looking for burials 1856, 1875, 1894, 1905. Happy to share and help if possible.
Rupali.

Offline Rupali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann, it looks as though we are researching the same Brotherick/Broderick's.  I am also looking for burials 1856, 1875, 1894, 1905. I'm happy to help and share if possible. Rupali.