Author Topic: Lillico in Northumberland  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lillico in Northumberland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
You may find this useful. MI transcriptions for St. Johnīs. It includes a Martha Lillico. Does she belong to you?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/broomhill_northumberland/monumental_inscriptions/st_johns_churchyard.html
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline David2609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 April 14 07:00 BST (UK) »
I looked in both. I am going to go back to the municipal graveyard as I did not get to look at all the graves. At least 4 of Robert Lillico's daughters are stated as being buried at St John's as well as his wife. It was difficult to look at all the graves in the churchyard.
Martha Lillico is not in my line at the moment. I have only gone back as far as my 3 x great grandfather who was born in 1798. I am still trying to find evidence of his baptism. He was called Robert.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 April 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
For a marriage around 1852-ish, there was no need for a non-Conformist to go to Scotland to get married, they could use their local Presbyterian or Methodist chapel. Alternatively an RC place of worship or register office.

I checked to see where Mary Hay was on the 1851 census, but there are a few of them born in the right area and time, so no clues there.

Have you checked all the marriages in non-Con chapels near Lowick and Doddington? Their first child appears to have also been born in Lowick. Robert is an ag lab so possibly moved every year from farm to farm.

"Needle in haystack"  time, but it could still be there.

Gen

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline David2609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 April 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
I have checked most of the non conformist registers. Robert Lillico and his siblings were baptised as Presbyterians and I think that I found Mary Hay's baptism as Anglican. The only baptism I have found of their children has been the eldest son Robert. I have been to find the grand children's baptisms even the ones that were born out of wedlock. I may have to go to Berwick to check some of the records. Most of my research has been done at Woodhorn. I have also been advised to go to the Central library at Newcastle.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 April 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Donīt underestimate how creative our north Northumbrian ancestors were with respect to picking churches. My lot lived in Lowick and Kyloe and I still keep finding them popping up in strange churches around the area. Think I have trawled through about 40-50 sets of records and some of them are still hiding :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 May 14 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi David2609.
I am descended from Richard Lillico who was born in 1754, he died in Ness Street Berwick upon Tweed in October 1834 and he was buried on the 7/10/ 1834 in Holy Trinity church Berwick and his occupation is Husbandsman.

He married Mary Ray on the 18th of may 1788 in Lowick,  she was born 1758 in Lowick. she died on the 13th of September 1852 in Riffington of old age.

Richard and Mary had 3 children:-
1  Mary born 1789
2  Thomas born 17th of April 1793 in Norham, he died on the 5th of May 1873 in Shoreswood Hall and it then says that he was buried in 1821 ( 52 years earlier?) in St Michael and all Angels Ford.

He married Ann Hush on the 15th of April 1821 in Norham.
3  Richard Lillico born 18th Sept 1801 in Norham, died 1897 in Newcastle he married Belilah Lillico who died in1879.

I am descended from Mary born 1789.

I have no Robert Lillico in my information, I hope this is of some help, the family seems to be from the Norham,Ford, Lowick and Ancroft area of Northumberland,

I then descend through the Anderson and Gray family.

regards Malcolm

Offline Mr.Brown.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »

He married Mary Ray on the 18th of may 1788 in Lowick,  she was born 1758 in Lowick. she died on the 13th of September 1852 in Riffington of old age.

1  Mary born 1789
2  Thomas born 17th of April 1793 in Norham, he died on the 5th of May 1873 in Shoreswood Hall and it then says that he was buried in 1821 ( 52 years earlier?) in St
3  Richard Lillico born 18th Sept 1801 in Norham, died 1897 in Newcastle he married Belilah Lillico who died in1879.

regards Malcolm

Hi - Im a bit confused by the references above, in the census of 1891 Thomas Lillico & Agnes Park have a daughter called Bellilah Agnes Lillico born in 1867.  My Grandmother was called Bellilah Agnes Smailes and I had traced the name to this family but your reference doesn't seem to agree with this. Was Lillico her maiden name too?
Thanks.

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 January 16 18:50 GMT (UK) »
You may find this useful. MI transcriptions for St. Johnīs. It includes a Martha Lillico. Does she belong to you?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/broomhill_northumberland/monumental_inscriptions/st_johns_churchyard.html
ords
Here also are the burial records for St Johns cemetery. There are a few from Togston Terrace including a Robert Lillico aged 68 died 1898

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/broomhill_northumberland/st_johns_chevington_churchyard_burials.html

Offline Mr.Brown.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 January 16 21:14 GMT (UK) »

1  Mary born 1789
2  Thomas born 17th of April 1793 in Norham, he died on the 5th of May 1873 in Shoreswood Hall and it then says that he was buried in 1821 ( 52 years earlier?) in St

regards Malcolm

Hi - Im a bit confused by the references above, in the census of 1891 Thomas Lillico & Agnes Park have a daughter called Bellilah Agnes Lillico born in 1867.  My Grandmother was called Bellilah Agnes Smailes and I had traced the name to this family but your reference doesn't seem to agree with this. Was Lillico her maiden name too?
Thanks.

Follow up...... Sorry - my mistake, seems the name goes back to Bellilah Hardy...maiden name was Hardy not Lillico.