Author Topic: Robert Strachan  (Read 3499 times)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for my family ;)
    • View Profile
Robert Strachan
« on: Tuesday 12 November 13 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, back after a long hiatus due to family and work commitments. Have another part of the family to look into. Am obviously trying to find info on the other branches I've been looking at.

Robert Strachan

born: 24th August 1792 in Montrose Angus Scotland
married: 16th April 1815 in Montrose Angus Scotland
died: unknown

His father's name was James Strachan and his mother's name was Mary Cobb.

He married Sarah Lyall who was born: 1st September 1795 in Montrose Angus Scotland. Sarah's parents were William Lyall and Jean Thomson

According to the information I have they had 9 children all born in Montrose Angus Scotland.

Now given that I don't know where my mother got the info from, I don't know how reliable it is. Also given the dates I am looking at, I'm guessing that it could be hard to actually find anything concrete. But worth a try I guess.

Oops!! Guess I should say that I'm looking for Robert's death date and Sarah's as well. Also any information on their parents.

Thanks
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Strachan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 06:55 GMT (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry has him dead 2/3/1839 in Courland Russia and his wife Sarah 22/12/1858 at Montrose also Sarah buried Montrose Parish Churchyard ..They have 2 of the daughters born in Russia

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks rosie,

Unfortunately I can't access the family tree as I'm not a paying member of Ancestry. My information doesn't have any of their children born in Russia but what I have could be wrong.

Thanks again

:)
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Will send you P M

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

From the info that Rosie has provided, you should be able to at least confirm the details for Sarah Lyall on the official pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  There is a death entry showing there for a Sarah Lyall/Strachan in 1858.

This old post on another forum http://genforum.genealogy.com/strachan/messages/372.html indicates that there may be monumental inscription for her death at Montrose Parish Church, erected by her husband, also including his parents. Again, this is something you could check seperately.

I haven't used mundia.com but I believe you can access these family trees also on that site, which currently remains free to use once you have registered.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Details of Robert Strachan's death seem to come from the MI itself - see http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/799498/

Robert is showing to have been a shipbuilder in his later years.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Can see all this info and more being added to your other post on another forum this morning. Great that we all agree  ;) A lot more detail and info has already been included there which is good news.

Monica  :)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Yeah I understand that asking the same question on 2 sites could get confusing but I figured that it couldn't hurt. Maybe each site would bring up different things or is this a problem as in others won't like it?

Thanks

Matt

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry. Information is great to have from any source and glad you have what you needed. Just thought to mention it here on RC as the other thread had already made more strides into the research (in which case, there is no point people repeating the same types of searches),

Monica  :)