Author Topic: subject completed  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Look-Up Help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 July 12 16:53 BST (UK) »
so how do you find "Mary Corlett" on 1841 census and in 1851 with John Gawne and Ann??
On 1841 & 1851  the child's name is entered as "Jane McConnal/McConnell??

Suz
re 1841 - by using index Michael dist 3 a servant of about right age in a family with a Corlett connection - as I said 'possibly' however I'm open for better guesses - I never mentioned Mary Corlett in 51 as I couldn't find her (possibly by then married ? - if so I suspect to an older husband as this is more common for those women with illegs)
I noted the name was not Jane in bapts in my posting - but seemed very strange that Mary Corlett had an illeg child of just the right age (there is another illeg child in 1838 to a Mary Ann Corlett also in Jurby named Jane but I havn't checked this  - I wonder if Cath Ann was renamed by 'foster' family - however I'm off Island at present and can't check with presentments but seems very strange to have 2 illeg ch in family especially one so young as 9months tho the mother might be a Boyde but couldn't find any match - no obvious connection to McConnell in the Boyde family.
The Bishop's notebook was looked at for other purposes and was just a lucky thought on my part to recheck it - the presentments + court judgements might confirm the fathers
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 July 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
Frances; Have found I.G.I. listing for birth of child John Corlett on Aug.6,1837 to Mary Corlett. This would make him 4yrs. old at time of notebook memo of Bishops Demense. He is listed as 3 yrs. on census as it was taken in June and his birthday isn`t till August. Seems like the puzzle pieces for JOHN may be coming together -
On 1841 census  Jane McConnell is listed just above Ann Boyde - John`s mother . I have not gotten that far yet - but am taking notes.
When you speak of "presentments" I really have no idea what that is??

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 July 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
look up Manxnotebook - www.manxnotebook.com
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 July 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
Frances-Thanks

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 July 12 07:04 BST (UK) »
hi Frances - Have Jane McConnell on my  tree but no idea yet as to whom she is really related or if she is even related. No birth record on I.G.I. as  Jane McConnell - just notation that she appears on the 1841 census but no relationship mentioned. She is a puzzle!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 July 12 11:13 BST (UK) »
apologies if I misread your post - I did quote part of it - and it seemed to read to me as "the name of the other illegit child in 1841 was Mary Corletts (baptised as Catherine A)) -and she was described as neice to John Gawne and wife (Ann nee Boyd)
Which is the reason I posted the census with jane McConnell/McConnal

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 July 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Suzard - Read that part of the message to read that Mary Corlett may have had a second illigitimate child that was baptized one name and then called Jane McConnell by the Boyde family. I cannot find a record of this young  girl after 1851. Any suggestions?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 July 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I'm slow off the mark today - I understand the posts now - but it is just a guess re Jane McConnal - I can't see her fore and surnames to be changed - for what reason?

I suppose stranger things have happened

I wondered if one of the Boyde girls married a McConnal?? I have checked for McConnal names in 1841/51/61 -living on the Isle of man
Are you interested in having those details??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 July 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
suz - info would be great. I`m fairly new at this and don`t aways know how to search other than on ancestry and I have just joined this chat so I`m new at this too!