Author Topic: Lillian Rush b about 1892  (Read 13509 times)

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lillian Rush b about 1892
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
A huge thankyou to JaneyUK. None of this could have been possible if not for her excellent research.

Cheers, Janey

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
You snuck that last one in just as I was about to say thanks for the update. ;)

I was going to do as we discussed by PM and add to this thread -- but kind of at that very moment I got sidetracked by seeing that the results were in on the very first two DNA tests I had ordered for the two sides of my family and I got all excited and have been playing with them ever since! (Fortunately, it was a long holiday weekend here in Canada.)

I would suspect that she really was the daughter of Susan and Samuel - it's a bit of a pain that both Susan/Susannahs went by both versions of the name at different times.

But on her baptism, the mother wasn't referred to as a singlewoman, and the father's occupation was given. The baptism was in August 1891, and Samuel Rush and Susan Smith had married in the June quarter of 1891, and the birth was registered in June quarter 1891. Much more likely this was the couple.

Of course, the actual birth certificate for Elizabeth Ann Rush would tell you who her parents were -- I would definitely get that certificate so you can be sure, because otherwise if you want to go farther back you can't be sure you're on the right track.

The Cornwall OPC who transcribed the baptism is a member here. I'll PM you her contact info at this site. She might be able to tell you whether the baptism record actually makes it clearer what mother Susan's status was.

Unfortunately, I think we have to conclude that Lily didn't actually marry George Henry Evans, perhaps because she was underage when their relationship began, so there is no marriage certificate there to show her father's name.

Very glad to have helped!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline cornishpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 August 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry to jump in after all the hard work has been done, but I have just joined. I think your Elizabeth Rush is my Gran's mother. I had done some research before and was looking for a few missing bits when I came across this thread. One thing still puzzles me: there was an Auntie Edith on the Warren side, but an Edith died in the same year as she was born. Could it be possible that Elizabeth brought up her grand-daughter from her first child Alice? Does anyone know if Alice or her huband died?

Thanks, Chris.

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 August 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Lillian is my great-great grandmother. I can tell you that I have multiple siblings recorded for her, as well as children, some with the surname Evans, some with Warren from the remarriage. Are you sure Elizabeth is the right woman? Alice Maud Evans married, but was dead by 1948. What sort of age/birth date are we talking about for Edith and do you have names for any of her aunts or uncles? Have you anymore details about her?

It certainly wasn't uncommon that if a child died the name was reused (example I have two Emmas in one family, one died and then her sister, born 2 years later was given the same name).

Elizabeth changed her name to Lily on her children's birth certificates.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 August 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, as you can imagine I had to read this over to recall the facts. ;)

Is your gran the other Warren daughter, or one of the Evans daughters?

You don't have to say here -- you can exchange info privately with UpstairsDown once you have added two more posts here for a total of three, then you can message each other.

Had you already worked out the Lilian Althea Evans = Elizabeth Ann Rush puzzle?

Alice Maud Evans married in 1928. And she did have a daughter Edith (who died in 2000); she would have been a young adult when her mother died. Is that who you are thinking of? Edith's son is on the current electoral roll ...
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 August 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Janey! Wonderful to see you again! I did confirm that Lily=Elizabeth through one of her children#s birth certificates and something else (think a relative confirmed what I was told). Looks like Chris has his answer (just found the Edith in question). This is one branch of the family tree that is still causing headaches.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 August 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Even reading it over, I was confused about how I did that! Glad to hear of the confirmation.

Did you ever determine exactly who the actual mother/parents of Elizabeth Ann Rush 1891 were from a birth certificate? Just idle curiosity. ;)

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 August 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
Birth certificate of the child confirmed her name, then her birth cert confirmed the parents. Unfortunately I don't have the certs with me as I am currently abroad, I only have some notes on my laptop. However, with something like this I don't like to put the information on the family tree until it is confirmed. I just can't remember what I did exactly to confirm. Just know that I did it through certs and a relative's input.

Offline cornishpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 August 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
My Gran was Kathleen Gertrude Grace Treglown, nee Warren, known as Gertie. I had worked out or been told that her mother had been married twice and that she was known as Lily and Elizabeth. Her second husband, Henry Warren had also been married before, so you can how confusing my tree is! I know all the names of my Grans siblings, but I only recently found out that Marjorie Warren was actually an Evans. People spoke of an Aunt Edith, but when I saw a birth / death in the same year I was confused. I think you both have confirmed my thoughts that there was another Edith and she was the daughter of Alice. I have never heard of Althea.