Author Topic: Death for Thomas Rowe Hender? 1870?  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death for Thomas Rowe Hender? 1870?
« on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm looking for the death of the above who was married to Mariana Trout. he was born in Callington in, some sources, 1818 and a death in 1877 - I cannot find a death in 1877 - can anybody confirm this please?

thank you

Phil

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Death for Thomas Rowe Hender? 1870?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 May 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

An online tree gives his death as 23rd April 1877, which does suggest that it comes from a source, but like you I cant see it. Freebmd gives only two Hender deaths in Cornwall that year, both female. Nothing under Rowe either.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Another site gives his death before 1860 as his wife remarries a Robert Wynhall (can't find a remarriage or a death for Thomas either)

http://www.hunterscastle.com/hendercs6.htm

Baptism of Thomas Rowe Hender 3 Oct   1824 Callington, son of William and Elizabeth

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 May 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course, she remarried - many thanks for this by the way.

I shall keeping investigating!

Phil

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thomas Rowe Hender and Mary Aina (sic) Trout married March Q 1844 in the Stoke Damerel RD. See Free BMD

There are Thomas Hender deaths in Stoke Damerel. Maybe the informant did not know his middle name.

Venelow

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 May 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
Do you really have this many rellies Philezra?! I wish I was so lucky.  :)

About this couple, do you know anything else? if they are ancestors, a child? or is Thomas Hender a sibling of an ancestor ... ?

The 1861 household headed by Robert Wynhall in St Martin is

Robert Wynhall born abt 1821 East Looe a sailor and ?
Mary Wynhall born abt 1826 East Looe (East Looe is a ditto for all other household members)
Philip Hender son-in-law 16 East Looe (i.e. stepson)
Ellen Hender daughter-in-law 13 East Looe
William Hender son-in-law 11 East Looe
(the other two women shown by Anc'y have nothing to do with the household)

This is the Hender household in 1851 in East Looe -- the surname was corrected from Wender to Hender by an Ancestry user in 2010:

Thomas Hender abt 1824 born Callington a matchmaker
Mary Hender abt 1826 born East Looe
Philip Hender aged 6 born East Looe
William Hender aged 6 Mo born East Looe
(where's Ellen?)

The info for Mary matches the baptism of Mariana Trout daughter of Philip and Susanna in St Martin by Looe 1825, at the OPC site.

Mary is still with Robert Wynhall in 1871, and her father Philip Trout is also in the household.
There are also two Wynhall children born after the 1861 census. (Another Ancestry user has corrected the name from Wynhhall - it seems there are people who have info about this family.)

Since there seems to be no marriage for Robert Wynhall and Mary, one suspects a simple estrangement between Mary and Thomas Hender, and therefore no indication of whether or when Thomas Hender had died. The site Claire linked to says the couple married "c1860" which is just laziness; no marriage appears to exist.

Robert Wynhall was living with his parents in East Looe in 1851 ... but he is married with no wife present. Likely the marriage was 1848 in Liskeard reg dist. He married Elizabeth Edgecombe; she is visiting with her parents in 1851 in Morval, born c1828.

So Robert had a pre-existing marriage (i.e. was not widowed) that could have prevented their marriage, and this doesn't help us determine whether Thomas Hender was still living when Mary partnered with Robert.

Robert Wynhall died at 70 in 1890.
Mary Wynhall died at 76 in 1903 - both in Liskeard reg dist.

You could always contact the person who owns the site Claire linked to, directly ... although I could understand being a little leery. ;)
http://www.hunterscastle.com/
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 May 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have been guilty of raising a few queries recently - all my Mother's side is from Cornwall bar earlier generations on her father's side otherwise, my father's side involves France, Ireland, Denmark, Channel Islands and Bolton!!

Anyway, thank you for your efforts - Thomas and Mary Hender are directly Great x3 Grandparents (on my father's side). They had a daughter Ellen wo married James Toms - they in turn had a daughter Laura Louisa who married a Dane. My paternal Grandmother was one of their children.

Naively, I didn't even consider the fact that Thomas and Mary may just part - I was under the impression that if someone remarried it was owing to the death of their spouse....

Interesting that Robert Wynhall's marriage was the reason for the "common-law" marriage of he and Mary!

In 1851, Ellen is with her Aunt Sarah (Trout).

Phil