Author Topic: charles edward dove  (Read 15225 times)

Offline jesscat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: charles edward dove
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 February 14 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info on Charles's army record.   

My grandfather was Private Alfred William Dove he served with the Royal Army Medical Corps (72379). I have a copy of his short service record.We know he was shot in the face. It mentions theatre of war as being Eastern. Charles was his brother.           

Offline Stooby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 01:00 GMT (UK) »
How very strange. I sent a reply thanking Steve for all the effort he must have put in to that very complete record of Charles's war record, but it obviously didn't appear on here, so thank you Steve. It's probably a sign of how things have changed to see that Charles's notice of being missing in action mentions him only as 'the son of' when he had a partner and several children with her. very odd.
For Linda's research, my brother tells me that it was not Charles who originated from Moulton, but Ada West (nee Smart), his partner, my grandmother. Sorry about that, Linda. My brother is in touch with Joyce now, who is the daughter of Phyllis, whose mother was Charles's daughter or stepdaughter. I think she was actually a West, not a Dove. She is sending us a copy of a photo of Ada with all five girls. Fantastic. Another little coincidence is that the Padmore and Barnes factory still exists and has been occupied for many years by Church's Shoes, where my ex-wife used to work! This world seems to shrink every day.

All the best,
Stuart

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 February 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Jesscat,

As far as I can see from his records these are Alfred's general movements:

23-10-1915 - Enlisted at Northampton
26-10-1915 - Posted to "T" Company (the large UK companies from which the men were allocated to UK hospitals etc)
1915 - 1916 - Stationed somewhere in the UK
24-09-1916 - Embarked to France and Flanders (B.E.F., British Expeditionary Force)
xx-11-1916 - Admitted to No. 37 Casualty Clearing Station at Avesnes-le-Comte (west of Arras) suffering from "P.U.O." i.e. Pyrexia (fever) of Unknown Origin
26-11-1916 - Transferred as a patient to No. 6 Stationary Hospital at Frevent (west of Avesnes)
30-11-1916 - Transferred to a Base Hospital by Ambulance Train (probably via Abbeville)
01-12-1916 - Admitted to No 2 Canadian General Hospital at Le Treport (at the mouth of the river Bresle)
17-12-1916 - Transferred to No. 3 Convalescent Depot at Le Treport
23-01-1917 - Transferred to RAMC Base Depot from Hospital
xx-01-1917 - Returned to unit or reposted (unknown)
xx-10-1917 - Wounded - shell wound to Face (slight)
16-10-1917 - Admitted to No 1 Canadian General Hospital at Etaples
18-10-1917 - Returned to the UK
19-10-1917 - Admitted to No 3 Northern General Hospital at Sheffield
03-12-1917 - Home furlough (leave) until 13-12-1917
xx-xx-1918 - Medical status reduced to BII (B2)
xx-xx-1918 - Posted to No. 406 Field Ambulance (UK)
05-02-1919 - Demobilised with 28 days leave. Protection Certificate Notes Eastern Command (i.e. UK eastern region)
05-03-1919 - Transferred to Class Z Army Reserve

What is not clear at all from his records is what medical unit he was serving with. His admission to 37 Casualty Clearing Station could have been from his own unit (i.e. 37 C.C.S.) or one of the Field Ambulances of the Divisions in the Arras area at the time. After a couple of months in the hospital treatment chain he may have returned to his old unit or may have gone elsewhere. Apologies that I can't extract his front line unit from his records.

Steve.
Researching : Beeby (Titchmarsh / Peterborough), Brooksbank (Peterborough), Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918

Offline jesscat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 February 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve
           Thanks for your help with Alfred's war record.I thought he was at Ypres at some point in the war. The copy of the record I've there's a lot blacked out.