Author Topic: Henry/Harry Parker Swimming Professor Ilfracombe Devon  (Read 9832 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry/Harry Parker Swimming Professor Ilfracombe Devon
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find a connection between either Miss Emily Parker or her brother Henry Parker with the town of Tunbridge Wells. The owner of a photo album presented by Capt Matthew Webb, the famous English Channel swimmer,in 1876 , to swimming professor John Pearson Luker in Tunbridge Wells, father of famous swimmer Miss Annie Luker,has in it two photos, one of Miss Emily Parker and the other of her brother Henry. Capt Webb and Professor Luker were obviously close friends and since most if not all swimmers in the 19th century knew and in some cases were friends with one another I wondered if there is some newspaper account that makes a connection with the Parkers performing their swimming skills in Tunbridge Wells, where there was a large outdoor baths which John Pearson Luker was the performer/swimming instructor at? I have made an inquiry at the Tunbridge Wells library but they don't have the staff or time to search their newspaper files. Perhaps there is some announcement in a newspaper of London or Devon etc where the Parkers lived.

Offline parkerc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 August 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I noticed that you mentioned a William Parker (b1826 Essex) and Louisa Parker (b1826 Hadlow,Essex)

I'm looking for more info on a William Parker born in either 1825 or 1826  in Ovington Essex, son of Jesse and Elizabeth Parker

By any chance do you have any more information ?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 August 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
At the opening of the White Rock swimming bath, reported in the Hastings & St Leonard's Observer, Sat 18 May 1878, Henry Parker, Emily Parker and Professor Luker appeared together in the opening ceremony/gala