Author Topic: France: George Samuel Weymss DALRYMPLE  (Read 2777 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: France: George Samuel Weymss DALRYMPLE
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Shizara

Have you come across this webpage:

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nation/dalrymple.htm

Huge amount of information....in part:

(1) Sir James DALRYMPLE, 2nd son of 1st Viscount of Stair......was the ancestor of the Dalrymples of Cranstoun
Created  a baronet of Nova Scotia, 28th April 1698.
Married 3 times  and had eight sons and five daughters
His 2nd wife was the widow of William FLETCHER of New Cranstoun  - whose daughter Elizabeth FLETCHER became in 1702,  the wife of his eldest son, Sir John DALRYMPLE.

His (1)  third son Robert DALRYMPLE , was father of Admiral John DALRYMPLE who died October 1798

His (1)  eldest son, Sir John Dalrymple, was married twice  and had five sons and six daughters.
Sir John's first wife was Elizabeth FLETCHER (married 7 Aug 1702) who was eldest daughter of William FLETCHER of New Cranstoun. Sir John's widow mother-in-law became his father's 2nd wife.  Sir John died 24 May 1743 and was suceeded by his eldest son, Sir William DALRYMPLE, 3rd baronet

3 other DALRYMPLE descended from the 1st Viscount Stair:
Dalrymples of North Berwick (created 1697 Nova Scotia)
Dalrymples of Hailes in Haddingtonshire (now Dalrymple-Fergusson, baronet) (created 1700 Nova Scotia)
Dalrymples of High Mark, Wigtonshire (created 1815 England)

The first of the Dalrymples of Hailes:
Hon. Sir David DALRYMPLE , an eminent lawyer:  5th  son of the first viscount of Stair (ie: younger brother of Sir James DALRYMPLE (1). Sir David was created a Baronet in 1700.

Sir David's eldest son, his sucessor as 2nd baronet, was another Sir James Dalrymple (2)  the 2nd  baronet, who held the office of auditor of the exchequer.

Sir James DALRYMPLE (2), son of Sir David.
Sir James (2) wife was , Lady Christian HAMILTON, second daughter of Thomas, sixth earl of Haddington
Sir James and Lady Christian had 16 children:
Their edest was Sir David, Lord Hailes, the eminent lawyer and historian
Their 5th son (and a seperate bio says he was their 7th child)  was  Alexander DALRYMPLE  the distinguished hydrographer....

which leads me to:
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010263b.htm
Biography of Alexander DALRYMPLE (1737 to 1808)  hydrographer and propagandist
born on 24 July 1737 at New Hailes, near Edinburgh as the the 7th  of sixteen children of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir James Dalrymple and his wife, a daughter of the earl of Haddington.

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 July 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Weymss is a small village in Fife Scotland - now nearly engulfed by Kirkcaldy.  Has an Earldom attached to it.

Henry Dalrymple  married Helen dau Earl of Weymss in 1757.

Don't thnk  author is related  -   Richard Francis Weymss 8th Earl changed family name to Charteris  before he died in 1914 - (maybe he got fed up of people not being able to spell it ;)

I live in Fife - let me know if I can help.
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 July 09 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you..

I have arrived at the point where it would seem that William Dalrymple 3rd Bart of Cousland is the father of Lieut-Col James Dalrymple.

The only marriage I can find for Lieut-Col James Dalrymple isn't on an official record.  It is to be found by searching Google Books, coming up with the writings of William Dalrymple who mentions the marriage of the Lieut-Col to Mooti Begum, an Indian princess.

Have found bits of information that would confirm that he was the son of William Dalrymple and that he had at least one son George Wemyss Dalrymple who died in Paisley, Renfrewshire in 1848. - I have his Will in a file.

The hunt continues..

KILLEY, MULCARE, FAIRCLOUGH, GRIFFITH, BREADNER, Lancashire, England.
BROOKS, COLE, PURCHASE, MAY, LITTELL, HOWELL, MULCARE, CANE, East London, England.
GODDARD, Saffron Walden, Essex
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex
WALKINSHAW, Walthamstow, Essex
BEANEY, Walthamstow, Essex